PDA

View Full Version : Murphys Law Strikes Again

Steve McKee
07-09-2011, 8:07 PM
So, we have a job that's due Monday. Of course I waited until yesterday to start running. Okay, not really by choice, I did have to install a new tube. Got that installed and aligned, at least I think it is aligned. :) So, I'm running laserlights making 1 x 2 inch labels. I start the job and everythings going okay. Worked until midnight last night, got up early this morning and started on it again. Ran okay for a while then all of a sudden the labels start moving around on me, starts out fine then they're off by 1/4 inch, or whatever. Shut everything down, restarted, same thing. Cleaned the encoder strip and the reader, still doing the same thing. I'm thinking it might be the ribbon cable that's gone bad, had it happen before, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any other ideas on what I might check. Guess I'm going to have to inform the customer that their job is going to be a few days late. :(

Thanks in advance,
Steve

John Noell
07-09-2011, 9:24 PM
Sorry to hear it Steve. Is the entire image shifting or just part? Have you tried flipping the encoder cable?

Anthony Welch
07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
sounds like encoder strip to me as well. if you can flip like John says, it'll save ya. Believe it or not I order 3 when I'm out.

Steve McKee
07-10-2011, 8:55 AM
John. The entire image is shifting. I did try flipping the cable, no difference.

Anthony. No, I had not tried flipping the encoder strip, didn't know you could. I will certainly try that. Anything I need to be aware of when I do? Does it have to be aligned or anything? Thank you both.

Steve

Martin Boekers
07-10-2011, 1:52 PM
Is it just the image moving over, or is the image not lining up with the vector cut (if you are cutting)?

If the later, then take out the Xaxis motor and clean the grooves out with a pin. I get those issues went
my engraving creates a lot of dust.

Bruce Volden
07-10-2011, 2:06 PM
Steve,

I believe John mentioned to flip the ribbon cable (which I see you already have tried) NOT the encoder strip. I think??

Bruce

Scott Challoner
07-10-2011, 2:22 PM
You mentioned that you just changed the tube. One time I installed new firmare and had to re-enter the manufacturer of the tube (some of my model were made with Coherent tubes and some with Synrad) and readjust the tickle pulse. Perhaps you need to adjust some setting for the new tube.
HTH

Steve McKee
07-16-2011, 9:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I believe it came down to a combination of dirty encoder strip and bad encoder cable.

Steve