PDA

View Full Version : The Things That Come Out of Indiana Barns

Mark Wyatt
07-09-2011, 7:56 PM
This morning, I set out to get a froe. Well, I found one at an auction.

Then, I did some other buying.

I guess I can't deny it any longer. I'm a tool addict or dealer now. This is one of the favorites of things I picked up. It has a toothed iron cut down from a Stanley #12.

george wilson
07-09-2011, 8:56 PM
Can I borrow your printing press AND the plates????:)

Jim Koepke
07-09-2011, 9:04 PM
I was saying just the other day that plenty of people have more planes than me and multiples of the same size.

My wife is going to see this one.

jtk

Mark Wyatt
07-09-2011, 9:25 PM
I wonder if I was influenced by the fact the my wife is out of town?

george wilson
07-09-2011, 9:50 PM
My wife has been gone for over a week. Still a week to go. The only thing I have bought other than gas and food is a never used Coleman gas camp stove for $25.00. This in case we have long power outages in the coming hurricanes!:) Actually,I did buy an ADT alarm co. sign for $4.00. It is for some friends of mine who can't afford an alarm system,and have a gang that lives not too far away. Hope it helps.

My sign is not a bluff. I've had alarm systems and dogs for quite a few years.

Mark Wyatt
07-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I have three stage defense system: (1) an alarm system, (2) three neighbor's who are police officers and park their cars outside, (3) a brother-in-law who loves guns and delights in showing up at the house and standing outside showing me his newest assault rifles.

I'm prepared for my wife's return. I have massive slicks so I can go out to the woods and build a cabin to hide out in.

"Small" is a Witherby. Large is "Beatty (?) & Sons, Philidelphia. It is 36" heal to toe.

Harlan Barnhart
07-09-2011, 10:11 PM
What a haul Mark. Very impressive.

Mark Wyatt
07-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is one I got in a box lot. It looks like it might be a Japanese dado plane, but when I search the internet for Japanese dado plane I don't find anything. It has a very thick iron and two blades in front of the iron. Does it have a name? Maybe it's a $2 Chinese circus plane.

Chris Atzinger
07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I'll try to help you out! PM Sent :)

Bill Houghton
07-10-2011, 12:34 AM
In the middle picture in your initial post, there are two boxes. Is the green one at the left side of the picture holding a Stanley 45? If so, good score! And what's the plane in the wooden box at the right side of the picture?

Mark Wyatt
07-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Bill,

The box is a Ward's Master plane. This is a clone of the Stanley #45 and was likely made by Stanley. The wooden box at the right is a Stanley #193. Patrick Leach and Patrick's Blood & Gore has a great write-up on this plane. You only want one if you are a Stanley collector.

James Owen
07-10-2011, 12:23 PM
That is one studly, cool looking plane!!! Nice score!

Bill Houghton
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Bill,The wooden box at the right is a Stanley #193. Patrick Leach and Patrick's Blood & Gore has a great write-up on this plane.

We occasionally stay in some Depression-era cabins in Oregon that have fiberboard on the walls (above beautiful solid wood wainscoting cut and milled on site), with obvious signs of being worked with fiberboard planes. The contrast between the upper and lower parts of the walls is not pleasant to modern eyes, but it was clearly considered good, maybe even progressive, practice at the time the cabins were built.

Klaus Kretschmar
07-10-2011, 3:24 PM
Wow Mark,

that's what I would call a huge pile of toys! Impressing haul for sure!

Enjoy it.
Klaus

Caspar Hauser
07-10-2011, 6:04 PM
That looks like it'll require at least a code 2 jewellery offering.

Gary Hodgin
07-10-2011, 8:43 PM
You're lucky. I've been to a few auctions around here with "antique tools" advertised. About all I ever see is a craftsman handyman plane or screwdriver. Congratulations!!

john brenton
07-11-2011, 9:38 AM
What a world you live in where you can "set out to find something". Everywhere else in the world you takes what you can gets!

Leigh Betsch
07-11-2011, 2:48 PM
You guys knock this stuff off! I just bought a new motor bike and don't need to see any tools for sale for at least a year!

David Weaver
07-11-2011, 4:20 PM
Put them in the hard side bags or whatever you call that hard storage on one of those german bikes!

David Weaver
07-11-2011, 4:24 PM
Looks like a couple of nice handled plows on the side of the table. Do you have any close-up pictures of those?

Are they ohio tool planes?

Pam Niedermayer
07-11-2011, 4:58 PM
Put them in the hard side bags or whatever you call that hard storage on one of those german bikes!

Generally one doesn't carry tools in the side bags on beemers, rather under the seat and often, these days, in tubes that fit in the rear subframes.

Pam

Mark Wyatt
07-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Here are a couple of shots of the plow planes. In typical Indiana auction fashion, I wanted to buy one of these planes so they held up two and said, "you are bidding on this fine pair 'o planes!" Thus, I now have two more plows for the collectio...err...shop. Yeah, I mean shop!

They are both by Ohio Tool Co. I wanted the plane because of the handle.

Mark Wyatt
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Here is another nice plane from the auction. This is a well designed 1/4" dado plane with a nice nicker in front of the skewed iron. This is also from Ohio Tool. Definitely a keeper.

James Taglienti
07-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Almost went to that auction Mark how were the prices? I went to Great Planes in St Louis instead what a bloodbath...

Get any 2 size planes?

Mark Wyatt
07-12-2011, 8:36 AM
I think a lot of the collectors went to the St. Louis auction. There were only 7 or 8 people I recognized at the sale here in Indianapolis. I did pick up a Fulton #2 size plane for $40.

David Weaver
07-12-2011, 8:49 AM
Those plows look familiar. They're nice users, and at least some of them have boxwood trim on the wear spots, and when I've seen them, they usually have good threads.

James Taglienti
07-12-2011, 7:28 PM
Let me know if you want to get rid of the fulton