PDA

View Full Version : Burl Gloat

Cory Norgart
07-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Hauled this thing in the other day. The cap on the top is 48" diameter and 19" deep. All I have to say about this thing is " The bugs were bad and the swamp was deep, this peice of wood I think Ill keep." :)

Chris Burgess
07-09-2011, 10:45 AM
WOWZZA!!!!!! That is the dirtiest snowman I have ever seen. What kind of Burl is that? I just pulled 5 good size Water Oak Burls that I am going to try to slab up this week, if you want to swap flat rate boxes we can:D.

Greg Just
07-09-2011, 11:00 AM
that's quite the burl. Can't wait to see what you make of that!

Cory Norgart
07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
WOWZZA!!!!!! That is the dirtiest snowman I have ever seen. What kind of Burl is that? I just pulled 5 good size Water Oak Burls that I am going to try to slab up this week, if you want to swap flat rate boxes we can:D.

Black Ash Burl, Chris.

Scott Hackler
07-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Geez Cory, I am starting to feel sorry for you. All you seem to be able to find are those stinking growths and no "regular" wood. I have a bunch of "regular" if you want to trade! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow that is some burl. That should be some nice turning.

David E Keller
07-09-2011, 2:15 PM
Oh man! That is a serious gloat! I spun a little more of that burl sampler I bought from you a while back... I love ash burl! If I ever get another commission for a large burl piece, I'm going with black or white ash burl!

How did you do at the symposium?

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2011, 3:21 PM
Wow! Quite the find! Bet it was fun trying to load that thing!

charlie knighton
07-09-2011, 4:46 PM
The bugs were bad and the swamp was deep

i can see your smile down here,

looking forward to seeing what you do with it, though Lyle Jamison may be interested, it is his type of shape but not sure if he works with burls or not, or David Nittman could do bar bell double spoon thingy, but looking forward to seeing your take on it

Jim Burr
07-09-2011, 6:24 PM
Are you kidding me!:eek:? If feel that as a good American...you are required to pass out a huge chunk to all that replied to your post...Ha!!! What a great find Cory..there was an old Star Trek episode that reminded me of that burl:p. Well done sir!...what are you going to make from it??;);)

Cory Norgart
07-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Oh man! That is a serious gloat! I spun a little more of that burl sampler I bought from you a while back... I love ash burl! If I ever get another commission for a large burl piece, I'm going with black or white ash burl!

How did you do at the symposium?
Keller, thanks for asking, things couldnt have went better. The best thing was meeting all the Creekers and turners in person. We had a great time.

Cory Norgart
07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow! Quite the find! Bet it was fun trying to load that thing!

An Argo, a 2 ton chain hoist, a 4000lb. winch, and of course, the trusty old husky, 8 hp 36 inch bar:)

Cory Norgart
07-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Are you kidding me!:eek:? If feel that as a good American...you are required to pass out a huge chunk to all that replied to your post...Ha!!! What a great find Cory..there was an old Star Trek episode that reminded me of that burl:p. Well done sir!...what are you going to make from it??;);)
I will get the nicest, largest caps possible, to start with, then move on to slabs, and the rest will make it to the bandsaw for blocks, blanks, and rounds. Also, Keller suggested in a past gloat of mine, to make a tutorial on the process of cutting these things up, I may use this peice for that. I will post a youtube link when it is done, but it may take me a month or so, there is alot on the table right now:)