PDA

View Full Version : Weird Shhtuff

Sandy Henry
07-09-2011, 1:15 AM
Flat panel monitor randomly gets squiggly motion around edges of images on screen. Kinda like electrical interference. It comes & goes. A couple weeks after this started, my Epilog Legend EXT fails to initialize on 1st start up attempt - shut off & try again & it starts up normally. Not sure if problems are related or if its a coincidence that the computer monitor & laser motherboard are going bad at the same time.
All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Sandy

Adrian Hill
07-09-2011, 3:29 AM
I would check the power supply coming into your premises. It could be that you have serious power fluctuations or it could be that you have serious power factor correction. Are there very large motors starting up near you? I've seen this sort of thing happen in shopping centres where poor power factor correction was installed. All sorts of interesting things happen when the aircons start up.

Sandy Henry
07-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks Adrian, No such problems since I re-wired shop & put in new breaker box. But I will investigate this a bit. Thanks again!

Adrian Hill
07-09-2011, 3:32 PM
We had a huge amount of trouble with a site where it was eventually found that somebody had connected most of the wiring to only one of the phases of 3 coming into a building. The fans would refuse to start at times and sometimes when they did start many problems occured in other premises. The problem with electricity is of course that all elements within a circuit have an effect on one another. Electricians seem to think that thy can do whatever they want within the confines of one premises. You should jot down the time of day that the problems occur, there might be a pattern. You could also get an electrician to run a data logging electrical network analyzer for a couple of days.