PDA

View Full Version : One Pound Cut of Shellac before Oiling?

Walt Pater
07-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I've used a 1# cut of shellac on woods before staining to better minimize the "dark end grain" thing...now I've been asked to re-finish some rock maple countertops. I'm a little concerned about blotching, since the refinishing is going to be done on-site, with an oil-and-wax topcoat (tung oil, butcher's wax). The countertops are from an old bowling alley, all maple, no doug fir.

Has anybody here tried to seal the wood first with a light cut of shellac, before applying oil? This just dawned on me, thought I'd ask around the water cooler......

Thanks in advance. Walt.

Howard Acheson
07-09-2011, 10:30 AM
What "tung oil" are you planning to use?

Bowling alley lanes are oiled every few weeks or so. They may be difficult to stain. Have you used a chemical stripper to remove all the prior finish?

Prashun Patel
07-09-2011, 3:40 PM
If you are using a light oil like tung and no stain, then the blotching will be minimal. Just sand up to 320 or 400 and I believe (but I'm no pro) you will be fine.

Scott Holmes
07-09-2011, 6:05 PM
As an avid bowler I can tell you for certian that bowling alley lanes are oiled daily!

Old bowling alley lanes are constructed with nails not glue. I too want to know what tung oil you plan to use? If it's pure tung oil as I suspect due to your statement about wax and oil as the finish... Shellac will completely negate your intended outcome.

Sealing the wood prior to oiling it is counter-productive; 99.9% of the TO and wax will wipe off.

Most of the wooden bowling alley lanes that are still used have a VERY durable polyurethane finish. Removing it is a must before you oil them.

FYI:The oil used for bowling is to control the skid and action of the new hi-bowling balls Lanes can be oiled to get scores high or very low. Typical 195+ avg. bowlers (myself included) have trouble scoring 160 on the pro-tour lane conditions.

Phil Thien
07-09-2011, 6:11 PM
Typical 195+ avg. bowlers (myself included) have trouble scoring 160 on the pro-tour lane conditions.

OT, I know, but I gotta know: How do pro bowlers do on typical land prep I'd find at a local bowling alley. Can they still ring-in the high scores, or do they have trouble with the different conditions?

Scott Holmes
07-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey Phil.

The pro's on a house shot...they eat it up; 240-250 avg over 12 games or more. Don't forget the pros will bring 20+ bowling balls all drilled a bit different (in relation to the balls center pin) for the different lane conditions. Once they get the shot dialed in; their consistancy in delivery will bury the ball in the pocket on every shot.
A guy in my league who isn't quit ready for the pro tour, he's still doing regional and state stuff and he avg'd 228 for the season. I heard about a pro that was in a men's classic league (like mine) he avg'd 245 for the year (36 weeks 3 games/week).

Jerry Olexa
07-10-2011, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't seal under the oil..That defeats the purpose..Oil bring out and pops the deep grain..Sealing it would negate that in my opinion..HTH