PDA

View Full Version : Kathy's Cottonwood finally turned

Don Alexander
07-09-2011, 12:26 AM
several months ago i received a very generous care package from Kathy Marshall with this large hunk of Cottonwood in it .................. i roughed it out to about 1" thick and soaked it in DNA awhile then set it aside to dry out................... well i finally got around to finishing it and here it is

approx. 9" diameter and 4" deep finish is clear Danish Oil buffed with the Beall buffing system the first 4 pics are pretty accurate color wise but the 5th pic is showing darker than it actually is

comments/critique welcome as always ............ thanks for looking and thanks Kathy for the beautiful wood

the pics could be better if i only knew how

Kathy Marshall
07-09-2011, 5:18 AM
Nice bowl Don! This reminds me that I still have a chunk of that cottonwood left if it hasn't checked too badly.
Your finish looks great as do the curves on the inside and outside. I like a smaller foot on a bowl, but that's just my preference.

John Keeton
07-09-2011, 7:22 AM
Wonderful character to that wood, Don, and you did a great job with it, too. That Kathy - she is something!

charlie knighton
07-09-2011, 9:49 AM
pretty cottonwood, thanks for sharing

David E Keller
07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Pretty stuff! Cottonwood can be a pain in the rear to cut smoothly, but it sure is pretty with a couple of coats of oil.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice cottonwood bowl. I like turning cottonwood as you never know what's inside for color.

Donny Lawson
07-09-2011, 1:03 PM
Nice bowl. It's got some great looking color in it.

John Hart
07-09-2011, 2:48 PM
When I first looked at it, I immediately said, "Fruit Bowl". I think it would look good with oranges and apples in it. Nice! :)

Billy Tallant
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
A very nice looking bowl. That color is simply amazing!

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice work on the bowl Don! Sure is some pretty wood!

Don Alexander
07-12-2011, 1:51 PM
When I first looked at it, I immediately said, "Fruit Bowl".

awesome because thats what i was shooting for with this one :)

Your finish looks great as do the curves on the inside and outside.

thanks, this wood finished easily and achieving the sheen i was after was also pretty easy on this wood

I like a smaller foot on a bowl, but that's just my preference.

sometimes i prefer a smaller foot sometimes larger , this one got a larger foot because of the intended Fruit Bowl use and also because i wanted a bit more lift than usual to hopefully show off the outside curve

thanks again for the great piece of wood , Kathy,
and thanks to all of you for the kind words and comments , also for the willingness to share your vast wealth of experience and knowledge , you people have helped me progress in this turning adventure in more ways than i can express and i thank you all for it :)