PDA

View Full Version : Needing 1/8 inch wood sheets...Anyone?????

William Richardson
07-08-2011, 7:36 PM
I am needing to find a good source for various species of 1/8 inch wood sheets, preferably 12"x24" sheets. For now I will be satisfied with poplar or pine, but would like a good species selection. It would also be nice to be local, Indiana.

Cherie Irwin
07-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Google Hardwood and Plywood suppliers in your area. I found Northwest Lumber in Indianapolis. http://www.northwestlumberco.com/ Just give them a call and see what they keep in stock. They probably have a much better selection than the big box stores. Many times lumber suppliers don't list their entire stock on their website, but you'd be surprised as to what they keep on the shelves. I use a local lumber company in the vicinity of where I live. I just called, asked what they had available in 1/8 inch sheets, and then asked them to cut it down for me into sizes that would fit in my laser bed. I got twenty 12' x 18' sheets out of a 4' x 8' sheet of birch for $34, including the cut charge.

Gary Hair
07-09-2011, 1:57 AM
I highly recommend Colorado Heirloom. I bought a few red alder and walnut sheets from them and the quality and customer service were outstanding! I don't know if they have the size you are looking for but they will cut to whatever size and thickness you need.

Gary

Allen Isakson
07-09-2011, 2:20 AM
Bill, check and see if you have a woodcrafters nearby. I have one in evansville indiana. They have a great price on 1/8 baltic birch and also at my location they sell scrap at three dollars a pound. usually I get 4 by about 16 inch pieces of walnut, maple, purple heart, zebra all eighth to a quarter thick. Check it out.

Allen

Mike Null
07-09-2011, 6:53 AM
Bill

We have three wood suppliers who are long time members and Friends of the Creek. I have used all their products and have been very satisfied.

For 3 mm Baltic birch: Michael Kowalczyk

For assorted thin hardwoods: George Perzel or Ray Mighells

Just do a search for any of these members then click on their name and you will find contact info or you can send them a pm. All of these people take pains to see that you get very good value for your money.

Martin Boekers
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Do a search under Scroll Saw Wood. I have a supplier can't think of the name offhand that carries a
wide variety of woods. I'll post tomorrow when back in the shop.

Ray Mighells
07-09-2011, 12:50 PM
12" X 24" X 1/8" thick is very unstable and not easy to keep flat. If you need the large surface 1/8" plywood is easier to control. Baltic Birch is most commonly used and you can pretty much color it to suit. Michael has good stuff. If you're going to cut it into smaller pieces, George and I can help you.

George M. Perzel
07-09-2011, 1:44 PM
Hi William;
Your question raises more questions than you can imagine. Assuming you are talking about solid wood and not ply:
1. Listen to Ray- 1/8" wood is notoriously unstable-tends to suck moisture from the air if not stored properly
2. Curious if you have found any 12" wide, 1/8" solid stock of any variety.
3. Pine and poplar are poor choices for engraving-tends to be yellowish with poor contrast but obviously can be filled.
4. If you can settle for ply, listen to Cherie- there is a ton available at reasonable prices and almost any specie-easy internet search
5. What are going to use it for?
Good luck
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Gary Shoemake
07-09-2011, 3:44 PM
I use www.memphishardwoodlumber.com (http://www.memphishardwoodlumber.com) out of Rochester NY. Excellent quality, low pricing, and hardly any footballs in wood.

Mark Conde
07-09-2011, 7:35 PM
William--
I am in your neck of the woods down here in Fishers. If you want 1/8" plywood...go to Hollingsworth Lumber. They have 1/8" ply in several species. If you want solid wood and plan on using it for MANY projects, think about getting a bandsaw and joiner and planer and dimensioning your own. Buying solid 1/8" solid lumber is expensive compared to milling and dimensioning it on your own.

Good luck, Mark

Craig Matheny
07-09-2011, 7:39 PM
One last thing on the Baltic Birch make sure it is interior glue most 4 x 8 are exterior and do not cut well.

Michael Hunter
07-09-2011, 8:36 PM
If you don't like ply, then do a search for "constructional veneer" (not something your average lumber yard deals with).
It is normally 1/16" or 3/32", but some softer hardwoods should be available in 1/8".

It works out much cheaper, since the wood is sliced off the log with a big knife, so there is not much waste and it doesn't need planing.
(To make thin planks the "normal" way, 2/3 or more of the log is converted into sawdust and there is a lot of labour cost in the sawing and planing).

Gerald Wubs
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Cherie, I want in on your secret - 20 pieces 12 ft x 18ft from a 4' x 8' sheet!!!!! I know, I'm just being a smarty. Still if it could be done...

Martin Boekers
07-10-2011, 1:55 PM
Here is the company I earlier refered too.

www.ocoochhardwoods.com (http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com)

William Richardson
07-10-2011, 8:13 PM
The customer was very specific on what they wanted.. We are actually doing several different sets of the product with different species of wood and ply as prototypes. I will try and share more once the product goes to market. Thanks for all your responses and concerns.