PDA

View Full Version : Raku

Lionel Mercier
07-08-2011, 4:02 PM
Hello the Creek
Very few woodturning with this piece...
Was a log burning in the fire place...suddenly, I taught "that will be a a good texture for a bowl"
Thus, I rescued this log and dipped in a waterbuck.
Few turnings I said just to have a solid bottom and then to hollow.
White ash colour is done with acrylic on the charred part (with care) and glycero varnish inside.
That's all...brittle I think...

Jason Silva
07-08-2011, 4:04 PM
Thats really neat looking!

David DeCristoforo
07-08-2011, 4:05 PM
Well I just happen to love raku. So this little piece really hits the sweet spot for me. You managed to capture the look of raku glaze without obscuring the fact that this is a piece of wood. Nice!

Mark Hazelden
07-08-2011, 4:16 PM
I like it very much. I bet people will just have to pick it up, which could be a problem. You've got me thinking about how to make it less fragile.

Thanks for sharing.

Chip Sutherland
07-08-2011, 4:31 PM
I love raku pottery. I have been noodling on how to accomplish it in woodturning. But trying to burn the raku on a wooden piece by firing it in a kiln is a non-starter. The reverse is the answer. Shape the outside profile, then burn to desired effect, then stabilize it then hollow/carve it out. Won't get the exact same effect but close. The only missing thing would be the iradescent(sp?) colors....but then gilding and chemical patination might do well enough. I'm thinking a torch might give better burn control. I could use a MAP gas torch.

Lots of possibilities.

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2011, 4:34 PM
Lionel, It is amazing where we see inspiration in our daily lives, I would never have seen this as I just toss the wood in the stove and keep the house and shop warm when it needs it.

Great inspiration,

Jeff

charlie knighton
07-08-2011, 4:53 PM
very nice, is it a limb or trunk, how large is it (or small)

Ted Calver
07-08-2011, 6:46 PM
Very creative...and very nice!!

David E Keller
07-08-2011, 7:22 PM
Very cool! I love the effect you've achieved. As always, your work is inspiring!

Michael James
07-08-2011, 7:34 PM
Very Nice..thank you for posting the pictures.
Michael

Roger Chandler
07-08-2011, 7:38 PM
Very Nice..thank you for posting the pictures.
Michael

MJ,

With all the fires around New Mexico lately, finding a piece to hollow ought to be a fairly easy proposition. Already charred for you. Maybe one of those areas where the fire started but got put out before reducing everything to ashes, totally.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Lionel - you never cease to inspire! beautiful work once again! Love the contrast between natural wood on the inside and the textured/glazed wood on the outside! Excellent effect! Thanks for sharing!

Fred Belknap
07-08-2011, 7:51 PM
I guess I'm the only person in the world that never heard of raku, do you pronounce it like clearing your throat.
BTW I like the effect on the turning, real cool looking.

David E Keller
07-08-2011, 8:21 PM
I guess I'm the only person in the world that never heard of raku, do you pronounce it like clearing your throat.
BTW I like the effect on the turning, real cool looking.

Like raccoon without the 'n'... Is that the sound you make when you clear your throat?:D

John Keeton
07-08-2011, 8:26 PM
Had to look up Raku....but, I really like this piece! To me, looks like it belongs in a rustic lodge. Great effect, Lionel.

Baxter Smith
07-08-2011, 8:59 PM
Very nice Lionel! I like the look and all the possibilities that go with it!

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Really nice piece and just to cool.

Lionel Mercier
07-09-2011, 9:01 AM
Hello guys,
Many thanks for the comments
@ Charlie:
It's a quarter of trunk from fire pile
Piece is h = 9 cm X dia 9/12cm