PDA

View Full Version : S-L-X Denatured Alcohol for dissolving flakes?

Dave Gaul
07-08-2011, 3:49 PM
I'm getting low on DNA, so I was at Lowe's yesterday and went to buy another can. All they had was the S-L-X type from Kleen Strip. I'm not sure what the SLX means, but is it suitable for shellac flakes and dyes?

Scott Holmes
07-08-2011, 4:34 PM
Denatured alcohol is denatured alcohol you should be fine. SLX may be their brand name or something.

Edit: To be more accurate... there are differences in what's in the can; little to no difference when using it for shellac.

Kent A Bathurst
07-08-2011, 5:20 PM
Dave - If you check out their website [info not on the cans] he MSDS will tell you that the SLX is about 50/50 ethanol/methanol and their Green is all ethanol [not accounting for the nasties that keep you from drinking it]. I happen to prefer the odor of the ethanol, but I've used a lot of the other over the years, too.

Downside: $/qt is about the same for both, but I haven't stumbled across the Green in gallons, so there is a premium if you go that way.

Of course - you could always go get a gallon of Everclear and a bunch of fruit juices, and have a dual-function ingredient. :D

glenn bradley
07-08-2011, 6:23 PM
I've used both without noticeable differences. I am currently using a gallon of SLX and will buy whichever is available when I re-stock. My .02.

Steve Schoene
07-08-2011, 8:39 PM
The methanol evaporates quite a bit faster than ethanol if you have a problem laying down smooth coats of shellac. Methanol is considerably more toxic, though ethanol is the antidote.

Kent A Bathurst
07-09-2011, 8:34 AM
The methanol evaporates quite a bit faster than ethanol if you have a problem laying down smooth coats of shellac. Methanol is considerably more toxic, though ethanol is the antidote.

Huh - that I did not know. Slow evaporation in a shellac coat has never been a problem for me :D :D so that's a second vote for the green stuff, in my book.

Dave Gaul
07-09-2011, 6:39 PM
Thanks to all!
I wanted to get the green but they didn't have it.

Kent A Bathurst
07-09-2011, 6:52 PM
Thanks to all!
I wanted to get the green but they didn't have it.

Maybe next time. I get mine at the orange BORG. Ace Hardwares are independently owned, and it seems like around here it's 50/50. Nearest Lowe's is too far away for me [10 min :D], compared to the others.

Dave Gaul
07-11-2011, 8:56 AM
Maybe next time. I get mine at the orange BORG. Ace Hardwares are independently owned, and it seems like around here it's 50/50. Nearest Lowe's is too far away for me [10 min :D], compared to the others.

I'll check HD or Ace next time. The can I'm using now is Ace brand. Lowe's is the closest for me.

Missed your comment about everclear... that is an interesting option!

Kent A Bathurst
07-11-2011, 9:23 AM
I'll check HD or Ace next time. The can I'm using now is Ace brand. Lowe's is the closest for me.

Missed your comment about everclear... that is an interesting option!

Yeah - I used the Ace [2 blocks away] until I learned about the ethanol/methanol thing - so its HD [2 miles] or a different Ace - [3 miles]..........stuff's all around me here inside the City.

The way I figure it - drink an amount of everclear equal to the amount you are consuming while applying the shellac, and the shellac finish will look perfect every time. I know that John C has said he uses the everclear, because he does so little shellacing, but then I read some of the threads he starts and I have doubts that is the real reason.:p