PDA

View Full Version : A "plane with curled chip" stamp I made

george wilson
07-08-2011, 3:03 PM
A tool collecting customer had told me that he wanted a wax seal with a plane with a chip curling out of it. I made this stamp out of 3/8" square W1,and hardened it. The plane is about 1/4" long. Then,I whacked it into the end of a round bar of brass. After that,I took a light cut across the end of the bar(in a lathe) to smooth out brass that squeezed out from the displaced metal. This I made into a brass seal for sealing letters with sealing wax.

The perspective of the plane (somewhat lack of it) gave the image an 18th.C. look to it,if you have seen early woodcuts,you see what I mean. It has a real early look to it.

I didn't make pictures of the wax seal,but still have this punch.

It looks much less crude when seen in actual size!

While I was at it,I made a little brass casting mold,and poured him some pewter buttons for his blazer with the little plane on it. I told him to remove the buttons whenever he had the blazer cleaned.

I believe I made this as a gift for him.

Actually,the plane is just about the same size as the thumbnail picture below,just as you see it without clicking on it.

Peter Pedisich
07-08-2011, 3:38 PM
That's awesome, George. I love work like this.

As a society we have gained so much with technology, and lost so much as well. I'm happy just to see these great things and get to work wood with hand tools.

George, you seem fortunate to have experienced the best of the past and present...you should write a book for Lost Art press, with nice color plates of all your work. I'd buy it!

Mike Davis NC
07-08-2011, 4:13 PM
I'd buy it too.

I'd like to know how you made that stamp? Did you just file the design or use some kind of graver?

Tony Shea
07-08-2011, 4:29 PM
Geoerge, that doesn't look crude at all. I really like that stamp, a good old coffin smoother. I agree in that this is the type of work out of you that I envy the most. How on earth did you go about carving this?

george wilson
07-08-2011, 5:27 PM
It was a combination of filing WHERE POSSIBLE(only in the outer perimeters),and chiseling and engraving elsewhere(like in the curled up chip). Also engraved around the wedge.

ANY engraving I do myself is hammer and chisel engraving,such is generally used in engraving steel. I am too nervous for push engraving,anyway. The only push engraving I am aware of that is done to steel is the "bullini" engraving done to fine shotguns. It is a very lightly cut ,highly detailed type of engraving, and the engraving of steel plates for printing money. I'm sure there are more. Most of the time steel is chisel engraved,certainly where the cuts must be deep,as around the curled chip.

Jim Paulson
07-09-2011, 9:44 AM
Awesome work George. It looks like silver in the picture and something one might purchase in a jewelry shop.

Thanks for the photo. You are definitely an artist.

Jim

Mike Davis NC
07-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks George. Would you have any pictures of some steel chisels for engraving? This is something I have wanted to try for quite a while. Almost apprenticed to a jewelry engraver back in the early 80s. Whole different ball game, I know.

Jim Koepke
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Your work will never cease to amaze.

jtk

Harlan Barnhart
07-09-2011, 1:41 PM
I believe I made this as a gift for him.

You have very fortunate friends...
Beautiful work.

george wilson
07-09-2011, 6:51 PM
He was a good,repeat customer who bought lots of my work. Eventually,many years later,he GAVE me back the bronze drill I had made for him. I never knew that would happen. He was going to make a museum to house his vast tool collection. He just got too old and tired to do it. Kept working at his business until he was just worn out. He certainly did not need the money,either. I think he wanted to provide his workers with jobs as long as possible. When he did retire,he arranged it so his employees could buy the business and run it themselves.

I always make it a point to do little extra things for my best customers. The ivory 18th.C. folding knife was a gift for my present best customer. It took some hours to make,but the good will little gifts make is the most important thing. She got other little things,like an ivory acorn whose top unscrewed for her to keep her pills in. It was about 1 1/2" tall. Later on,she started taking more pills,and needed more room. Then she got me to make her 3 round ivory pillboxes with screw on lids. Before the acorn,she carried her pills in a baggie,neatly folded and organized in her purse. When I gave her the acorn, i told her that no customer of mine should have to carry her pills in a baggie. She was delighted. Then,she spent 2 months making a little flame stitch pouch to keep it in so it wouldn't get scratched in her purse. Probably did the same for the other 3 pill boxes. I never photographed them,or the acorn.

Jim Paulson
07-09-2011, 8:17 PM
Again thanks George. BTW those giving moments you recounted give me hope.
I am grateful for your acts of kindness and it reminds me of the times I have given things to others.

Take care,
Jim

george wilson
07-09-2011, 8:55 PM
I have often given to others,and not just my customers. In fact,they are far in the minority.

Harlan Barnhart
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I think he wanted to provide his workers with jobs as long as possible. When he did retire,he arranged it so his employees could buy the business and run it themselves.

I can see he deserved respect and the gifts you gave him.