PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying Log

luis montes
07-08-2011, 2:27 PM
Brother in law rescued this wood for me after a bad wind strom in Kenosha Wi. Logs were on the side of road for city to haul away. Wood is dense and hard. There were no leaves to help with identification. Does anyone recoginize the wood?

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2011, 4:41 PM
It looks like cherry to me or possibly some sort of an apple tree. I can't get the thumbnail to enlarge at all so it is hard to see the bark closer. But I would say black cherry for sure if the trunk bark is more rough and flaky/shaggy closer to the butt end.

Jeff

charlie knighton
07-08-2011, 4:49 PM
cut me an 1 1/2 inch x 2 x 1/2 inch end grain section, just bought Hoadley's Identifying Wood at half.com and attended Rob Wallace rotation at st paul on wood identifying, pm for address

David Campbell
07-08-2011, 9:58 PM
It's cherry, without a doubt.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Sure looks like the wild black cherry I just got.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I think the color is rather red for Cherry, but yes the picture is just too small, the thought here is that it could be buckthorn, but again I'm not sure about it either, just the looks of the bark and the color of the wood make me think it could be Buckthorn :-))

Bigger better picture certainly would help :)

Jeff Nicol
07-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Leo, I thought about buckthorn, but in all the forest land that I have covered in WI I have never seen one bigger than about 5" in dia. Unless it is some sort of ornamental one that was fertilized and watered well, just don't think it fits. Also the buckthorn I get around home is more "Orange", and the center of the one piece with the limb coming out has the sign of some rot as many of the cherries get if grown in poor soil. Now as I look back at the picture you can see the rougher bark on the bottom of the larger piece to the right side, Black Cherry wins with me.

Jef

Cory Norgart
07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I cant see too much of the bark, but I beleive it is crab apple???? I just lost a tree in a storm the other day and this looks pretty similar to what I have, as far as the wood goes. Another picture of the bark may be more helpful.

luis montes
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the response. Please send the address to send the wood to. I will cut a chunk this week.

charlie knighton
07-11-2011, 1:35 AM
check your pm

charlie knighton
07-20-2011, 5:29 PM
Mike,

i got your wood sample, thanks

!st the diameter of wood suggest this is a limb (4") and wood id experts not suppose to use limb or reaction wood to id or di wood

since i am not an expert, consulting R. Bruce Hoadley from what i can make out of his book i believe this wood is:

sweetgum

not sure sweetgum grows up there in cheezehead country, it does not have distinct bright lines across transverse surface that black cherry has

go Packers, go Hawks, go Dolphins,.........

Jon Nuckles
07-20-2011, 6:35 PM
I can attest that sweetgum grows at least as far north as Northern Illinois and Kenosha is just across the border, so I bet it grows there.

Michael Menzli
01-28-2012, 6:46 PM
Well..
i'm assuming that this has been answered since its almost a year old...but my 2 cents..This is no way a sweetgum (liquidamber)..I live on a 300 Acre farm loaded with these trees..The bark alone is a dead giveaway..even if it is a branch...Im not sold on cherry either..bark doesnt match up for me..again have a crap ton of these on the farm..I would lean more toward an apple/crabapple

Reed Gray
01-28-2012, 7:15 PM
The bark doesn't look like cherry or apple to me. Not sure what it is. Can't blow the pic up either.

robo hippy