PDA

View Full Version : Claro and BLM cremation urn

John Keeton
07-08-2011, 1:50 PM
This is my third cremation urn attempt - still trying to get a feel for capacity of these things. 5.25" x 10.25", this one is 100 cu. in. The bottom is Claro walnut, and the top shoulder is BLM. The inset in the top of the lid is BLM burl. Finish is BLO, several coats of shellac, then wet sanded with 600 to level. Several coats of satin WOP were applied, then wet sanded with 600 and one final coat of satin WOP, buffed and Ren wax. The threads are ABS, but I did acquire another set of thread chasers (10 tpi) at AAW and someday I will try the real thing!!;)

I apologize for the glare - I have a difficult time photographing glossy pieces.

As always, feel free to rip away!:eek:

Harvey Ghesser
07-08-2011, 1:57 PM
John, that's beautiful...

(you've certainly come a long way since table legs...seems like only yesterday.)

Randy Gleckler
07-08-2011, 2:02 PM
Looks very nice John, good work

Michael James
07-08-2011, 2:13 PM
Very nice! Looks elegant and dignified from here.
mj

Rick Markham
07-08-2011, 2:14 PM
Wow, it's really nice John. I love the form, and the combination of Maple and Claro is visually stunning. I love the beads on the side, something a little different from your norm. It is really a very well done piece.

Scott Hackler
07-08-2011, 2:17 PM
John, I like this one very much for an urn. It is a very "classic" shape and I think that this particular shape will be readily accepted by a wide variety of people in the market for a urn. The choice in woods are very good and I really, really like the inset of BLM in the top of the lid. That little touch really dresses it up for me. The finish looks top notch as usual and for the life in me I can't figure out how you and Steve get WOP to work that well! I will have to "try it again"!

Tim Rinehart
07-08-2011, 2:23 PM
Very nice John...very nice. I also like the inset BLM in the top, nice subtle features on this, as I expect an urn should be.

Tim Thiebaut
07-08-2011, 2:34 PM
Wow John this is very nice! I love the inset into the lid that looks great! I love that wood combination, they go so well together.

Toney Robertson
07-08-2011, 3:13 PM
That's a pretty one John.

The only thing that has me wondering is the size of the knob. I wonder how it would have look if the knob was 20-30% smaller.

Just a thought but it is a wonderful piece.

BTW, where is the dye!!!

David DeCristoforo
07-08-2011, 3:34 PM
Really nice urn, John. I agree about the "knob" being a bit large. But I think it is appropriate and much more suited to an urn than a finial would be. Someone used the word "dignified" and that is what came to my mind also. The beads on the side and the inlay in the top give this a very elegant appearance while being, at the same time, sufficiently understated to lend a dignity that stops just short of being somber. Perfecto!

James Combs
07-08-2011, 3:50 PM
Very nice John, love the combo of BLM and Claro and the finish is unbeatable. As for the beads, I really like the set at the Claro BLM transition, but to me, the next set down in the Claro seem out of place and unnecessary but like I said that's me.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2011, 3:54 PM
A stunning piece, John..........your finish technique really is outstanding...........beautiful form as well............I think your knob is a little large also, but the inset is a great idea, and perhaps with the need to add threads, the knob had to be as large as it is.....it would be interesting to watch over your shoulder how you go about your turning process, and why you made the decisions you made related to the knob...........I suspect it was to give symmetry to the knob because of the opening needed for the threaded top.

A+ in my book...........should garner a lot of interest..........very well done!

Robert McGowen
07-08-2011, 4:15 PM
As always, feel free to rip away!:eek:

All us non-lawyers call it a critique!

As has been mentioned, I like the bead where the two woods meet, but don't think that the second bead on the body really adds much.
A lot of people get into lathe work for the "instant gratification", but it looks like you are spending more time on your finishes than you do turning!
Overall, a very nice piece.

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2011, 4:16 PM
John, I like how the 2 woods complement each other, and the finish is very rich and and is a great way to show how much the dearly departed was loved and appreciated. John on figureing out the capacity of an urn by using this link to figure out 2 cones that will fit into the inside of the urn. One from largest dia. to the base of the urn so that the point of the cone is laid out past the bottom so where the base crossects the cone at the correct dia. of the base. Then lay out another that goes from the lagest dia. to a point outside the top to where the cone cross section is at the opening of the urn. Then figure out the full volume of each cone and then subtract the 2 small cones on top and bottom outside the area of inside of the urn. This will give you a pretty good volume of the urn so you can lay it out and make it to fit the amount of ashes it needs to. Here is the link to the formula:

http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/conevolume.php

Hope I did not confuse you to much, but it works pretty easy once you do it,

Jeff

bob svoboda
07-08-2011, 4:44 PM
Very nice work, John. Love the wood combo.

charlie knighton
07-08-2011, 4:51 PM
very nice....

John Keeton
07-08-2011, 4:59 PM
Thanks, guys for the comments! And, Jeff, thanks for the link! I will give that some thought. I want to so a couple of other pieces before I do another urn - and, I want to learn to chase threads. I would like the next one to have wood threads.

...perhaps with the need to add threads, the knob had to be as large as it is.....it would be interesting to watch over your shoulder how you go about your turning process, and why you made the decisions you made related to the knob...........I suspect it was to give symmetry to the knob because of the opening needed for the threaded top.Roger, you are right on! The whole design of a piece using these plastic threads revolves around the threads. I did 6 or 7 sketches of various ways to try to make this work with less "knob", and there just was not any way to do it and have any balance to the piece. No doubt, for a vase form, a smaller throat would be nice. But, in order to do that here, I would have had to deepen the cove, but leave the flare to cover the female insert. And, that would have left me with a very fragile lip at the edge of the male threads. I did cross sections on the top every which way to try to get the neck down some - just wouldn't work! So, the knob is what it is! Does feel nice in the hand, though.

As for the beads, I really like the set at the Claro BLM transition, but to me, the next set down in the Claro seem out of place and unnecessary but like I said that's me.

As has been mentioned, I like the bead where the two woods meet, but don't think that the second bead on the body really adds much.
I first had this piece with only the transition bead, and even had it sanded out. Took the chuck off the lathe, and set it upright for awhile, took it inside and pondered it while watching TV, and decided it needed another bead. I don't have any other excuse - it was a rash decision!:o

Roger Chandler
07-08-2011, 5:34 PM
John,

I find it interesting that had I been the one to attempt that form, that I would have come to the same conclusion you did about the knob and it having to be the size it is to make it work with the threaded opening.

Since you described your process...."6 or 7 sketches" and nothing would look right..........it took me back to my comment about looking over your shoulder and watching the process you went through to make your decision related to this...........

I think you and I both came to the same conclusion for the exact same reason.....although I likely would not have made all those sketches, but just eyeballed it.......that is why process matters, especially rationale for why we do things the way we do them....even though not identical, we came to the same place in the end......that kind of thing piques my interest.........don't know why, it just does! :D

John Keeton
07-08-2011, 5:45 PM
John,...we came to the same place in the end......that kind of thing peaks my interest.........don't know why, it just does! :DRoger, rather than pique your interest, it should worry you!!!:eek: Lots of folks would agree with you!!;):D:D

Bob Bergstrom
07-08-2011, 5:45 PM
I feel this piece has a certain respectful elegance to it. It seem to fit its purpose well. Not flashy or over bearing. I like what you did and the way you did it. And thanks for sharing it with us.

Michael Armstrong
07-08-2011, 6:32 PM
Really nice urn, John. But I'm not giving you top marks until the top has those hand-chased threads!

Michael

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-08-2011, 7:48 PM
John
I agree that the piece needed the second bead. Turned out very nice.

David E Keller
07-08-2011, 8:18 PM
Very nice, John! It's funny how our tastes change over time... You're making vase forms with small bottoms!:D Next thing you know I'll be putting feet on everything I turn.:eek::D

The wood combo is lovely, and the finish is sublime! I want to see some hand chased threads on the next one... A man of your talents can't be seen using plastic threads!:D

Dale Miner
07-08-2011, 8:30 PM
John,

The rash decision was the right one. The second bead balances the first.

Baxter Smith
07-08-2011, 8:55 PM
Very nice John. The beads really set this one off. When I try and visuallize it without them it, doesn't look nearly as nice.

Steve Campbell
07-08-2011, 9:19 PM
John that is just beautiful. I love every part of it. Talk about finishes. The beads sure look right to me. The only comment I think of that no one else has mentioned, is I think it looks a little tippy. Not that anyone is going to be handling it much. I would sure hate to see Grandma tumbling off the top shelf.
Again very top notch work. I think I could live there for eternity. Thanks for inspiring us

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2011, 9:21 PM
John - beautiful work - as expected! Love the wood and your finish really brought all that wood to life! Not sure what the problem with the beads are... the 2 beads in the body balance the 2 beads in the knob. Seems logical to me!

I think the thing that appeals to me most about this piece is the feeling of masculinity - the simple curve, a real knob, dark woods and not overly embellished! Simple yet stately. Beautiful work! I expect this one will sell in short order!

Looking forward to seeing what you design next!

Curt Fuller
07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Now that's to die for!

John, if I hadn't already committed to being cast into the sea off the coast of Hawaii I'd commission you to build my final resting place. That is just beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Really nice piece John. I do like the lid as I feel it fits the urn.

Cathy Schaewe
07-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Nice. I really like it.

Jim Burr
07-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't know why, but are you toying with the idea of reversing the combination? I think that would rock!! The base looks like about 1.5". Is that to small for it's use? Other than that...very well done!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Rip away ??, well OK than, Nice piece John, however to MY liking the handle/top/knob is too big, also the two beads would be appropriate if the area between them was the BLM, anyway it does look like a very finely finished piece, and as always you can't please them all.

Scott J Taylor
07-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I do love the wood combination, such deep and attractive colours and the grain is astonishing. Pardon my ignorance though, however what is BLM? Some sort of Maple?

-Scott.

Kathy Marshall
07-09-2011, 4:37 AM
I really like this piece John! The woods are stunning and they work very well together, the finish is excellent as usual and I agree with Steve that it has a masculine look.
Have you thought about doing a set and maybe reversing the woods for another one? I think with the body in BLM and the accent in Claro it would lighten it up and feminise it giving you a "his and hers" set. Just a thought.

Toney Robertson
07-09-2011, 7:00 AM
I do love the wood combination, such deep and attractive colours and the grain is astonishing. Pardon my ignorance though, however what is BLM? Some sort of Maple?

-Scott.

Big lead maple. I believe it only comes from the west coast.

John Keeton
07-09-2011, 7:20 AM
Thanks, again for the nice comments! I apologize for the acronym - yes, it is Big Leaf Maple, and it is a west coast wood. I do not have any pieces of it large enough for a reversal of the woods - though that would work very well and is an idea I may explore! The problem with a "his/her" set is that the capacity of this one (the masculine) is more suited for female cremains at 100 cu. in. I just need to get better with determining the capacity ahead of the game.

Jim, you have a good eye! The base is 1 3/8". It is not as tipsy as one might think. The design difficulty, at least for me, is that IMO the bottom portion of a vase form should form a catenary curve. The truncation line (where one establishes the base) determines the width of the base and the overall contour of the piece.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Catenary-pm.svg/400px-Catenary-pm.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catenary-pm.svg)

I was limited by the width of the Claro stock, and therefore limited on the curvature of the urn. In order to squeeze more capacity, I needed the height. I doubt I could have kept a true catenary curve with the same height and a larger vase. But, admittedly, this is only the second vase form I have turned and I am still experimenting with this concept. Others with far more experience might have more enlightening ideas!!

Gary Max
07-09-2011, 8:14 AM
You nailed the finish, which is a real big deal to me. As far as the base----it's a urn not a vase ---so that works for me also.

Toney Robertson
07-09-2011, 11:11 AM
"a catenary curve"???

I have been out of school a LONG time, so algebra, geometry, calculus, physics and most other things left my brain many moons ago!!!

I turn to relax not do higher math!!! LOL

John Keeton
07-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Me, too, Toney!!! That is why I need pictures!:o

Michelle Rich
07-10-2011, 8:28 AM
Hi John: how stable is it? The base tiny..did you put anything in it to make it bottom heavy...years ago i melted wheel weights and put them in the bottoms ( I made my own bullets at the time with the wheel weights)
The woods gorgeous and the tiny accent beads are very nice..Like the burl in the lid
Good 3rd

John Keeton
07-10-2011, 9:17 AM
Thanks, Michelle. I did not weight this one, though the bottom is a little thicker - 1/2" or so. Lead weight would probably would be a good idea! Thanks!

Roger Chandler
07-10-2011, 1:27 PM
Thanks, Michelle. I did not weight this one, though the bottom is a little thicker - 1/2" or so. Lead weight would probably would be a good idea! Thanks!

Well, there is one thing for sure...........putting lead weights in an urn will not cause any harm to the body!!! :eek::rolleyes::D