PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Truck II

James Pickering
07-08-2011, 1:16 PM
In response to numerous requests, I have added some tool photos and updated construction information on the "How to make a Truck" page: http://jp29.org/wwmaketruck.htm

george wilson
07-08-2011, 2:20 PM
I recall we had a person apply for work at Williamsburg,claiming to be an experienced coach builder. Turned out,he had made wooden truck beds!!! Not QUITE the same kind of coach maker we wanted.

ray hampton
07-08-2011, 9:29 PM
I got one year experience building motor homes, is this the type of coach maker that you wanted

Peter Pedisich
07-08-2011, 9:56 PM
James,

With all the fine hand work that went into these trucks, including the painting, I'm sure the truck owners and their drivers were inclined to take very good care of them. My company owns one of the now common cab-over box trucks with acres of plastic, and they simply do not engender the same respect as a hand-crafted beauty such as the Maudslay Meritor!

Thanks for creating and sharing these pages, I enjoy them very much.

Pete

george wilson
07-08-2011, 9:58 PM
Obviously,we wanted 18th.C. coaches!!:)

ray hampton
07-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Obviously,we wanted 18th.C. coaches!!:)

this must be a stage coach or maybe a early railroad coach
stage coach is any coach pull by horses until someone tell me different

James Pickering
07-08-2011, 11:19 PM
James,

With all the fine hand work that went into these trucks, including the painting, I'm sure the truck owners and their drivers were inclined to take very good care of them. My company owns one of the now common cab-over box trucks with acres of plastic, and they simply do not engender the same respect as a hand-crafted beauty such as the Maudslay Meritor! ..........You are spot on with your observations, Pete. I too greatly admire the Maudslay -- enough to quicken the pulse of any vintage truck lover! Those trucks were built with loving care and proud craftsmanship -- at least that is the way I thought of it. The woodworking certainly did not rise to the level of fine furniture making or coachbuilding, but it was of high quality. I really enjoyed building flat bed truck bodies.

I emigrated to the United States in May 1950 never having been promoted to Craftsman at Tillotson's -- so I remain to this day an ancient Truck Cab and Body Building Apprentice!

.......... Thanks for creating and sharing these pages, I enjoy them very much.Thank you Pete -- I really enjoy doing it.

James