PDA

View Full Version : Price of this kind of plane?

Bobby Hicks
02-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Creekers,

I saw a plane similar to this one a couple of days ago at a local antique/curio shop. I'm not sure but it didn't look antique to me. I would guess it was cast in the last 10-15 years. It was in really good shape, no rust. Looks like the bottom has never been flattened (lapped ??). The finish on the wood handles look like new.

It was 6-8 inches long and has Buck Bros. cast in the mechanism that locks in the blade (I don't know the correct terminology).

They have it priced around $45. Is this a good price?

If someone points me to the "Plane" web site I'll search for a better picture or more info.

TIA

Dan Gill
02-15-2005, 1:55 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular plane, but Buck Bros. planes are currently available at H-D and other big boxes. I've never heard that they were particularly desirable. I actually bought a Buck Bros. block plane when I was just starting woodworking, and I never use it. It's just not very good.

Marc Hills
02-15-2005, 4:03 PM
Bobby:

It's the combination of the 6-8" dimension and the picture of a bench plane you provided that intrigues me. You're almost describing a #1 or #2 size vintage Buck Brother's plane, which would be very valuable indeed.

Dan is quite right that a Buck Brother's of more recent vintage is not "particularly desirable". I'll go a little further: they are reprehensible abominations to the toolmaker's art.

But the terrible quality BBs planes that I am familiar with are either modern block planes: no tote (rear handle) as represented in your picture, or are #4 or #5 bench planes: either 9" or 14" long.

Even if the plane you saw is 8" long, you are talking about a #3, which I don't think BB has made in some time. So it might be worth the $45 if it's in as good shape as you say. Any shorter and you may have a real find there.

PS: if you confirm that the plane is 8" or shorter, ask the dealer if $45 is his "best price". And then shut up. If he says yes it is, offer him $30.

HTH,