PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians out there? Can I put a plug on a ceiling fan?

dennis thompson
07-08-2011, 9:51 AM
I'd like to put a ceiling fan in my garage shop. I have several outlets in the ceiling. Can I buy a regular ceiling fan (Home depot has a remote controlled one on sale) & just put a plug on it & plug it into an outlet or do I need an electrician to run a new line & install it? If I can put a plug on the fan how do I hook the wires up?
Thanks
Dennis

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 9:56 AM
As long as the installation is solid and the electrical portion is suitably protected from wandering hands, I see no reason why you can't attach a suitable length of cable and a plug. Make sure the cable is properly secured to the fan, any metal edges are protected with rubber grommets, etc.

Not really sure where this one stands in terms of code, but I doubt you care about that.

Ben Hatcher
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
If you have an outlet near where you want to install the fan, you could always remove the outlet and wire the fan in its place.

David G Baker
07-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I have done it with out any problems but I have never read anything about it in the electrical code.

Matt Meiser
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
The Grainger industrial-type ceiling fan I have in my shop came with a plug on it from the factory. It doesn't hang from a box but instead came with a big hook you screw into a joist or bolt through a beam and the fan hangs from that.

I'm not sure how big your shop is, but most BORG ceiling fans don't really move all that much air. A real industrial/commercial fan can move a few times as much air per minute. I found a pretty good deal on mine on Ebay.

Dave Ogren
07-08-2011, 1:03 PM
I have a plug on the end of a cord for a ceiling fan in my shop. After upgrading my power I had to have the electric inspected. The inspector told my that was against the code, he reached into his back pocket got a side cutter and cut it off right next to the plug and handed it to me. He said that it needed to be hard wired with a off/on switch. He approved the electrical and left. It made no sense to me. Now when we want to use the ceiling fan we plug it in.

Good Luck,

Dave

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 1:15 PM
What a jerk... it's his job to make sure codes are met and sign off when they do, not destroy property that doesn't. At worst, he should have simply unplugged it. If he gave me any grief after that, I would threaten to sue for destruction of private property. What if the fan was owned by someone else, or it was a rental?

Myk Rian
07-08-2011, 2:10 PM
Are you going to borrow a fan, and bolt it to the ceiling, intending to return it at some point? Come on now.

At least the inspector approved the job, even if he did cut the plug off. He knew darned well a plug would be put right back on, but it was OK when he left.

I have a couple 2 pole switches that plug into an outlet, then a fan plugged into one, and a grinder into the other. Hit the switch to turn on and off.

Greg Portland
07-08-2011, 2:16 PM
At least the inspector approved the job, even if he did cut the plug off. He knew darned well a plug would be put right back on, but it was OK when he left.+1. He could have forced you to schedule a follow up appointment after you fixed the 'problem'. $1 plug to get my inspection approved? Done!

Greg Portland
07-08-2011, 2:20 PM
In OR you can't have an extension cord running through the wall & you can't stick a plug on romex. This pretty much eliminates flush ceiling mounted options (like a house fan). The Grainger-style box fans mentioned earlier are going to be your best bet & will likely handle the dust better.