PDA

View Full Version : Using epoxy on acrylic pens - won't harden

Jim Underwood
07-08-2011, 8:34 AM
Using some of this stuff:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/23/epxy_extra_b/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Extra-Time-Pro.htm

The two times I used this stuff, I couldn't get it to harden. Took a week or so for it to get hard, and even then it never got really hard. I even used extra hardener this last time, but the stuff just isn't getting hard...

The last time was on that acrylic pen I made recently, and I wiped some excess epoxy off the thing just this morning... It's gummy, but not hard...:mad:

Now what?

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 8:43 AM
How old is it? Is your mix by weight or volume? Did you get the mix correct?

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2011, 9:23 AM
Jim I don't use any finish on acrylic pens. I wet sand to 12,000 with micrmesh and then buff. Gives a solid and nice shine.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2011, 9:29 AM
I'm with Bernie! I wet sand with micromesh through 12,000 and buff.

Jim McFarland
07-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I use 5 minute epoxy from Mannie at Wooden Wonders....
http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=c262632f9c7b3297d1c3c27434a051e6

Re "extra hardener" -- using extra hardener will make it less likely to actually harden IME. I try to get an accurate 50/50 mix and will err on the side of less hardener if anything. I always check the leftover epoxy to make sure the mix cures properly. I don't like the epoxies with longer setting times for gluing in pen tubes. The only time I had epoxy fail on a pen tube was using West System epoxy (#206 hardener). I think I sanded too agressively and the heat caused the tube to let go. No such problems with Mannie's 5 minute epoxy.

Jim Underwood
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Jim I don't use any finish on acrylic pens.

Hmmmm.... neither do I.

Apparently I wasn't too clear about the use of the epoxy. I used it to glue in the tube.

And using too much hardener will make it less likely to harden? That's counter-intuitive.... I'll stick to the five minute epoxies then...

Steve Kubien
07-08-2011, 1:37 PM
I cannot think of a reason to use any finish on an acrylic pen.

Michael James
07-08-2011, 7:46 PM
I haven't tried epoxy and had way too many failures with CA, so gorilla glue it is for me. I may go to the 5 min epoxy if I get in a hurry. don't know what to tell you about it not setting up that hasn't been said. Good luck!
Michael

Mark Hix
07-08-2011, 8:08 PM
Maybe something wrong w/ that batch of epoxy??? I have made 100's of pens w/ it. Epoxy works so much better than CA. Have you tried another brand or even a different lot number (I did not look, do they have lot numbers?)?

David E Keller
07-08-2011, 8:14 PM
I use 5 minute epoxy from Mannie at Wooden Wonders....
http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=c262632f9c7b3297d1c3c27434a051e6

I use the same stuff that Jim does... Great source for CA and epoxy!

Jack Gaskins
07-08-2011, 8:17 PM
Jim, I had the exact epoxy you have and had to toss it in the garbage a few weeks ago because it would not harden. The epoxy was about 9 months old. I glued up a set of blanks and after a couple of days I could still get the tubes to come out! I tried different mixes and still would not get hard. So I trashed the stuff and bought some gorilla glue in the small bottle just to try it. It works just fine and ready to turn in a few hours. One thing with the gorilla glue, If you buy poly glue, I would suggest you buy it in small containers as I have found that large containers harden rather quickly if not used up fast enough OR if you do not sqeeeeeeeeeeze out ALL the air in the container while it is on the shelf. I sqeeze the air out with a small C clamp and leave the clamp on the bottle until I use it again.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I won't use LocTite epoxy. I've had the same problem.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry Jim. Misread the post as I hadn't had a cup of coffee yet. I use walmart epoxy on mine and have never had a problem. To cheap to buy anything better.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Try to warm it up to about 60 degrees celsius, (accurate oven would work) and yes use the right mix proportions that's called for.

Jon Lanier
07-09-2011, 1:17 AM
I use a medium or usually thick CA on tubes. That gives plenty of time to play with... and dries is a good time. I don't mess with epoxy unless I'm putting on handles for some implement or golf club building.

Jim Underwood
07-09-2011, 9:52 AM
How old is it? Is your mix by weight or volume? Did you get the mix correct?

I first used this on some thin parting tools to glue the handle scales on. This stuff is probably only a year old. But even when it was new, it still wouldn't harden very soon. Stayed soft and tacky for a couple weeks. Finally got fairly hard, but never glass hard.

As for the mix, I followed the directions and put equal amounts (by volume) on a piece of glass and thoroughly mixed it. This last time I figured I may as well put more hardener in to see if it would get hot. No such luck... I hope the epoxy in that pen doesn't cause the new owner any grief... (It was a gift.)

As for heat, it should be plenty hot enough right now at 85-95°. I don't think the wife would appreciate me putting epoxy in the oven, nor do I care to have that toxic stuff in the house...

I guess I should have just used my medium super glue.

Jim Burr
07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I've been using Devcon epoxy (about $5 at OSH) for several months with great results. It's a smaller dispenser, so less waste. I have never, in over 900 pens used anything but thick CA on a tube. If you scratch it up, coat it well, and twist it around to spread the glue well, there is no reason for it to fail.