PDA

View Full Version : My Pet Shark

Jon Lanier
07-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Took Karen (my wife) to Ocean City, MD for her birthday. We went out onto fishing pier and a guy caught a baby Shark. I was willing to pick it up and pose a picture with it. This was fun.

Michael Weber
07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Amazing how it looks like a fully grown one. Did it have little teeth?

Jon Lanier
07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Amazing how it looks like a fully grown one. Did it have little teeth?

One of the guys fishing, accidently put a finger in the mouth while trying to get the hook out and he jumped big time and shook his hand like it was sharp. I personally didn't want to let loose my grip to turn him around to look.

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 6:05 AM
Absolutely adorable! Looks like a nurse shark,but I'm no expert...

I know some people who would take that home and throw in their saltwater tank :D

Jon Lanier
07-08-2011, 9:39 AM
This is baby Tiger also known as Sand Shark. They are known to shuffle along the bottom near the beach wear swimmers are. At the aquariums they are the ones that look really nasty with all the teeth going every where. But they are actually quite docile towards humans. Unless you upset them. I put this one back into the water. the guy who caught it, didn't want anything to do with it.

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Are you sure it's a Tiger? The wide fins and the nubs near the mouth look like a Gray Nurse, but I can't see enough of the back to check for spots...

John Coloccia
07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow. That thing must strike fear in the hearts of sardines everywhere.

Dan Hintz
07-08-2011, 1:18 PM
I'm just imagining him thrashing about like the Tasmanian Devil, screaming "Let me at him! I'll bite his pinky off!!".

Jon Lanier
07-14-2011, 1:31 AM
Are you sure it's a Tiger? The wide fins and the nubs near the mouth look like a Gray Nurse, but I can't see enough of the back to check for spots...

Dan, grey nurse shark (Australia), spotted ragged-tooth shark (Africa) or sand/tiger shark (US and UK). All the same, different names same species. What ever you want to call it. I held a shark! LOL