PDA

View Full Version : I have been thinking about shop safety again

Roger Chandler
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Over the last year, I have made improvements to up the chances of my well being in woodworking and turning especially. I have gotten a PAPR respirator helment, moved my overhead air cleaner close to the lathe, gotten my dust collection about as good as I can make it...........

Also, put a first aid kit in the shop.........now, I am thinking I need to get myself a good quality fire extinguisher. I do everything I can to make sure I gather up combustable materials, and get rid of finish rags, etc, but I think a fire extinguisher is something that is a must.............I have been too lax on this........now I must do better.

I hope you all will think about this as well.............even though I have not met most of you, I still consider you friends and want you safe. Give this some thought if you would......it might just be the thing that helps avoid a small situation from getting out of hand in your shop!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Roger,

I need to set up a first aid kit in my shop.

My 2 Jet air filters were ordered by my wife earlier today. They should be here next week.

I have a Trend AirShield and a fire extinguisher in the shop.

Rick Markham
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I've got a large ABC fire extinguisher that is accessible in the shop and in the kitchen. within arms reach of the sink, or a reach across the workbench. They make some nifty disposable ones now, they cost the same as recharging an older extinguisher. Well worth the money especially if you ever really need it. Most house fires are caused by a dirty clothes dryer exhaust hose, so if your putting an extinguisher in your shop take the time to pull the lint out of your dryer hose while you are at it. Better safe than sorry! :)

Greg Just
07-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a large ABC fire extinguisher in my shop. I'm very careful with rags that I have used with oil based products. A friend lost his house to spontaneous combustion after being careless with some rags. Made a lasting impression on me. I also have a first aid kit, Trend AirShield and dust collector. About 2 years ago I had a bad accident when the tenon on a bowl I was turning broke and I got cut real bad on my thumb. I saved the bowl as a reminder. You can't be too safe.

Ed Morgano
07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I have two ABC fire extinguishers in my shop (one came from another building). I read a post a couple of years ago about a guy who had a fire. He had a fire extinguisher and it worked.....however, it was small and didn't put the whole fire out. He had no backup and his shop burned to the ground.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I have a ABC fire extinguisher, first aid kit, air cleaner, DC, Airstream helmet, and a metal container outside for my finishing rags.

Tim Thiebaut
07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
All good ideas Roger, I have an ABC but need to have it checked, I have had it a long time now and not sure if it still have a good enough charge, also the first aid kit is a good idea, I will now be ordering one for my shop, thanks for the idea!

Paul Maue
07-08-2011, 6:20 AM
Rodger

You might want to add a CO2 fire extinquisher in your shop. If you spray any electronics with the ABC extrinquisher you will most likely have to replace it because the chemical powder will foul up all of the electrical components were the CO2 will just evaporate. Use the ABC on combustable materials and the CO2 on equipment fires.

Of course this topic tries in with a previous thread that was started a couple of days ago. The shops with the most shavings piled up have more fuel to feed a fire or hide a spark from the grinder. I'm by no means a saint like Mr. K but I do not let it get out of hand.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-08-2011, 8:03 AM
Dont forget, if you have a chemical extinguisher, every 4 to 6 months turn it upside down. Over time the catalyst and chemicals separate and in an emergency, only the catalyst comes out and you dont have an extinguisher. Excuse me, rotate the extinguisher 180 degrees, not turn it upside down only.Learned this at a demonstration of extinguishers.HTH, Max

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I have all the goodies for safety and with a couple extra escape routes (Back door and upper floor window) gives me a good feeling and the hose bib with hose in from the house and will reach all parts of the shop. It also has a frostless bib to make sure in the dead of winter I can still get water out there in a few minutes it takes to go into the basement and get the hose so it is flexible and not frozen!

Most of my hazards come from tripping or bumbing into things sticking out here or there and banging my shins!

Safety first, is a good thing,

Jeff

Lee Koepke
07-08-2011, 3:05 PM
I also have a flashlight in case of power failure (basement shop) and a whistle close by to get my wife attention should I need some emergency help.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2011, 3:56 PM
I also have a flashlight in case of power failure (basement shop) and a whistle close by to get my wife attention should I need some emergency help.

That is a great idea Lee!

Roger Wilson
07-08-2011, 3:58 PM
You might consider these:

--Depending on where your shop is located think about adding a shop only sprinkler system.
--If you have an alarm system have one or more HEAT detectors (not smoke detectors as dust will set them off) in the shop.
--Also consider putting all flammables in a fireproof cabinet.

Thomas Canfield
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Better than a flashlight is an automatic battery back up emergency light to come on in case of a power failure. I got caught down in the shop one dark morning and it was feel my way back to the door where the flashlight was stored. That day I went to the blue box and bought the battery back up and have not had a similar problem since, but am prepared.