PDA

View Full Version : Small wood Gloat...maybe.

Chris Burgess
07-07-2011, 3:49 PM
Well I have been calling some Firewood shops around here trying to find some cheap wood. I would say I have called 5 or 6 and it seems they get all their wood pre-split......Who knew? Well then I called one today and hit dirt. He said he had some 'knurls' that he was not able to split and I could take a look at and make an offer on. Well I got there and he had some huge 'knurls' for sure. We shot the bull for a while and he showed me around and I spotted some good size chunks of Mesquite. So we made it back to the Water Oak Burls and I offered $20 and he took it. He grabbed his saw ad slabbed each burl off for me and helped load it. I gave him the $20 and a second $20 for doing that as it was not expected and he offered up some Mesquite. I threw a Basketball in the photos for size reference. so for $40 bucks I think I did ok. What say you?

Now I have no idea what I am in for turning Oak Burl but at the very least I got some Mesquite and cookin wood if it comes to that.

Now a question to you. How can I protect my gold from the bugs? My other pile of wood always has some fresh piles of dust so I know the worms and ants are there.

EDIT***
Another Question. Should I block them out or leave them whole until I am ready to turn them, the Burls that is. I already cleaned up the mesquite and ancorsealed it as well as ancorsealed the exposed parts od the burls.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

David E Keller
07-07-2011, 4:12 PM
Ya dun good!

Sealing the wood and getting it up off the ground will help keep the critters at bay... For a while. I've found that a lot of the stuff I get from my local tree guy comes complete with critters already. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

George Guadiane
07-07-2011, 4:17 PM
I JUST posted a waxing video set that may help you protect and store the wood.

GREAT haul by the way!

charlie knighton
07-07-2011, 4:18 PM
enjoy, you can smile for at least 2 weeks