PDA

View Full Version : Fixing stain blotches on red oak

Clayton Jones
07-07-2011, 2:45 PM
I had some custom bookshelves built and installed in our home. They were stained (with Minwax Gel Stain) but not finished. Some of the stain was applied unevenly, and there were other sections where I did some hand planing and chisel work to get surfaces and things to line up (this was after the stain had been applied). The wood used is plainsawn red oak as well as some red oak plywood. Stripping or sanding the whole thing is out of the question... it's bookshelves along a 30 foot wall, and I don't want to deal with a big project.

I attempted to fix the problem by laying down another coat of gel stain, which worked "pretty well" but there are still some areas of unevenness/blotchiness, in particular an area where I let the gel sit a bit too long and now it's quite a bit darker than the rest. I tried to remove some color with mineral spirits (after the stain was dried), but this didn't seem to do anything.

I'm really looking for a way to subtly blend some harsh transitions so they're a bit less noticeable. Is it possible to do this by removing color... Would another solvent like lacquer thinner or paint stripper do this? Would some light sanding, scotch-briteing, or scraping work? Or would I be better off scraping down the dark patches, then reapplying thinned-out stain in many coats? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

CJ

Scott Holmes
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Clayton,

Could you post a picture or two, so we can see the problem? Mineral spirits and scotch-brite pad should remove the gel stain...

Evenly will be the challenge.

Kelli McDaniel
08-01-2011, 3:51 PM
Hi Clayton, this is Kelli, a spokesperson for Minwax. We want to ensure you have a solid answer to your question about applying stain to fiberglass. Since this is such a specific project question, we request that you contact Minwax Tech Support Customer Service: 800-523-9299. They can answer your question regarding this project, and provide clear application information. Come join us on Facebook to post your projects, and get some free tips and project inspirations. Thanks for using Minwax products.

Kelli McDaniel
08-01-2011, 4:10 PM
Hi Clayton, it's me again, Kelli. I apologize for my mistake. I meant to refer to your Minwax Gel Stain question, and accidentally typed fiberglass. My apologies for the oversight. I hope to see your projects on the Minwax Facebook page. Thanks.