PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a clock movement?

Thomas Bank
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a clock with one of the typical AA battery clock movements - probably close to twenty years old now. Lately the time has been off - either slow or fast and even with a new battery.

My thought is to just get a new movement and replace it to continue to use the clock. Or is there anything in the movement that can be "fixed" to get it working properly again? Lubricated it thinking that after a couple decades that things had gummed up and it was binding, but that has not resolved the issue.

Myk Rian
07-07-2011, 2:27 PM
Replace it. I've tried fixing them. You can get new ones at Michaels crafts, Joannes, www.klockit.com . Or, buy a cheap one at a garage sale and get the movement out of it.

Jim Koepke
07-07-2011, 4:19 PM
My thought is to just get a new movement and replace it to continue to use the clock. Or is there anything in the movement that can be "fixed" to get it working properly again? Lubricated it thinking that after a couple decades that things had gummed up and it was binding, but that has not resolved the issue.

This is likely to cause more problems than it fixes. Clocks and watches are typically lubricated with a very small amount of oil to avoid the collecting of dust in the gears.

I would say replace it, they are cheap and easy.

jtk

Thomas Bank
07-07-2011, 5:26 PM
Ok, those were my thoughts as well. Looks about $5 most places. Michaels runs coupons in the Sunday paper for 40% off one item. That sounds like the ticket.