PDA

View Full Version : Brass and Exotics Dovetail Markers

Trevor Walsh
07-07-2011, 10:02 AM
As back story, I've wanted to make some brass DT markers for forever, I'd had some pieces of brass left over from my machining days. These were doing to become brass jaws for my small horizontal milling machine.

Anywho I filed, drilled and mounted them to cocobolo (for a dual slope 1:7 and 1:5) and ebony (for square and 1:7). I overshot the countersinks so the screw slots still show, but I'm confident I can hit it next time.

Here are the pictures, I think the ebony with square is a better design. you don't have to fuss with a square and marker; and you can't accidentally switch angles while working. The wooden one there is a prototype for the second run of these. I'm buying 12 feet of brass bar because it's cheaper there than buying small quantities online. I also have to stamp the slope into them yet.

Peter Pedisich
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Trevor,

Those look really nice. I especially like the one with cocobolo. I'd like to see how one would look with polished brass.

ps - I see you are an ID major - same here...from PCA back almost a quarter century ago.:eek:

Pete

Trevor Walsh
07-07-2011, 1:38 PM
I do want to do a polished one, but I want to nail the countersinking so I lose those slots for the mirror finish, I have some chunks of ebony left that will work. I think they will look great together.

Jim Koepke
07-07-2011, 2:46 PM
Those look great.

Is it possible to have the screws coming through the wood so there isn't any break in the surface of the brass for the polished finish?

jtk

john brenton
07-07-2011, 3:09 PM
I like the rectangular mortised pins, but I think round pins would probable be easier and look a little better. Flush would be nice, or perhaps with headed pins like the popular Kell markers. Just my humble opinion. I think they are neat.

John Coloccia
07-07-2011, 4:19 PM
Those look great.

Is it possible to have the screws coming through the wood so there isn't any break in the surface of the brass for the polished finish?

jtk

If he makes the countersinks shallower, the slots will disappear when he grinds it flat/polishes it and the screws will be all but invisible.

Mike Allen1010
07-07-2011, 6:24 PM
Trevor, these are very cool! They just look like the weight would feel great in your hand. I especially like the color combination of brass with dark wood like Cocobolo -- I'm looking forward to seeing the version with ebony I can just imagine that will look very slick.

I also really like the nicely executed flats on the brass template that align with with the wood and allow you to mark the tail line and the corresponding vertical line on the end grain simultaneously.

Very Nice!

Trevor Walsh
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
John C. is exactly right, a little easier on the CS and some peining will make the joint's very close to invisible. I tried hitting that on the ebony one, but over shot just a bit.

Thanks John B. I will probably do some in steel and brass of bronze and brass, they will get square peined tabs I think. Maybe I'll even get fancy.

Jim, I was also thinking about using machine screws through the brass and into a brass cross dowel in the wood, but that's a lot more work compared to these. I may try one for fun, but I think I can get this to work.

Mike, I do like the weight of them, they thunk almost into place and balance there pretty well. I agree that brass looks best with a dark wood, when I nail the CS I want to do a mirror finish brass and ebony version.

Trevor Walsh
07-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Last week I picked up some brass bar to do a production run of these markers, the first one off the line is in ebony with a 1:8 slope, this has sold.

kevin loftus
07-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed Trevor. :cool::cool::cool:

Trevor Walsh
07-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you Kevin.

Trevor Walsh

Peter Pedisich
07-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Trevor,

How much? and would you take a custom order for polished brass and Walnut or cocobolo?

...and the tradition of Philadelphia Craftsmen continues.

-Pete