PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite and Cherry Jewelery Box

Bill Rogers
07-07-2011, 9:37 AM
The design isn't mine as I followed the Classic Jewelry Box plan in David Freedman's Box-Making Basics book. I used an old gnarly piece of mesquite for the lid and more mesquite for most of the other parts. The rail and stiles on the lid and the base are made from the lightest cherry sapwood that I had. I hope that over time, the cherry sapwood continues to give good contrast to the mesquite.

Mike Wilkins
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Really fine work on the box and nice lumber choice. Thanks for the inspiration as I have a chunk of Mesquite just waiting for the right project. This would be a great way to resaw the chunk and stretch it out for other projects.

Luc Vincent
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Excellent job!! The mesquite gives it incredible texture and depth!! The joints are very nice too!!

Jim Rimmer
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The design isn't mine as I followed the Classic Jewelry Box plan in David Freedman's Box-Making Basics book. I used an old gnarly piece of mesquite for the lid and more mesquite for most of the other parts. The rail and stiles on the lid and the base are made from the lightest cherry sapwood that I had. I hope that over time, the cherry sapwood continues to give good contrast to the mesquite.

Great looking box. Makes me want to try using some mesquite.

Mark Valsi
07-07-2011, 2:16 PM
Nice box, and that wood is beautiful.
I am just finishing up 2 of that same box from that same book.