PDA

View Full Version : Wood selection for loft bed

Paul Cahill
07-07-2011, 9:35 AM
I am getting ready to build a loft bed / chest of drawers unit for my teenage daughter, that will use a mix of solid wood and plywood. She wants it painted - who am I to argue. I have not checked on price and availability yet but I was thinking poplar for both the wood and plywood. I live in Chattanooga, TN, so I have good access to lumber yards within a 100-120 mile radius. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Gordon Eyre
07-07-2011, 7:03 PM
Paul, I just built a project out of poplar and it was easy to work with and took the spray paint very well.

Jamie Buxton
07-07-2011, 9:36 PM
Can you get poplar plywood? I never see it here. My standard materials for painted cabinetry are poplar lumber and maple plywood. The maple plywood is generally C3 or so -- depends on whatever the dealer got a good deal on.

Paul Cahill
07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Can you get poplar plywood? .

I haven't actually seen it, but it was listed on Peach State Lumber's web site, a lumber yard I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

Jim Becker
07-08-2011, 9:20 PM
I have gotten poplar plywood from my local source. It was "ok", but not of the quality I prefer in sheet goods. That wasn't the fault of the poplar, however...it was just an "inexpensive" product they brought in for utility use. I use birch or maple plywood for painted projects or utility sheet stock.