PDA

View Full Version : Turned out great

David Warkentin
07-07-2011, 4:21 AM
Any ideas on how to get girls to turn? Seems like most turners are guys. At 244 this morning my wife delivered our fourth child. All four of my children are girls:eek:. Trying to get this post on a turning related subject so it doesn't get moved and also let my friends here know that I'm a happy papa again:).

Keith E Byrd
07-07-2011, 6:59 AM
Congratulations on the new arrival and plans to add on to your home!!
There are several female turners on here - get some advice from them and start following it!

John Keeton
07-07-2011, 7:37 AM
David, congrats!!! Hope Mom and daughter (and Dad!) are doing well. Of all of my 14 grandkids (11 boys!) it is only the girls that show much interest in woodturning! I would say you have the best odds of any of us of producing woodturning progeny.

David E Keller
07-07-2011, 7:48 AM
Congrats, David! I hope mom and baby are both well.

Four?!?:eek: You've got to figure out what keeps causing that!:D

Tim Thiebaut
07-07-2011, 7:49 AM
Congrats on number 4!!

David Gilbert
07-07-2011, 7:56 AM
Congratulations on your new daughter. My guess is that you have some time to figure out how to get them into the turning vortex. With four daughters and a wife you have your own vortex. Relax and enjoy the spin.

Mike Davis NC
07-07-2011, 8:38 AM
Congratulations on the new daughter.

At 13 my youngest is the first of my daughters to show any interest. Here she is turning a handle for a horse grooming box.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2323/medium/Lathe12.jpg

Chris Burgess
07-07-2011, 8:50 AM
I am with you on this. I have 3 daughters and 0 boys. My oldest is 10 and I am thinking I want to try to get her into making things go round. Congrats again. You can never have too many "Daddy's Girls" but you will likely run out of money much sooner than if they were boys.......

Paul Williams
07-07-2011, 9:09 AM
Girls are great for the turning hobby. My grown daughters are a constant source of "ideas" (as in requests) for things to turn or make. Also pretty good at suggesting improvements and sales ideas.

Jim Burr
07-07-2011, 9:16 AM
COngratz!!! They can make pendants and earings!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2011, 9:42 AM
Congrats David. Hope mom, dad and baby are doing well.

bob svoboda
07-07-2011, 9:58 AM
Congratulations. Hope everyone is good. Having daughters is a good thing. When they grow up they spoil Dad rotten :D

Jeff Nicol
07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
David, I know how it feels to have a house full of girls, wife and 3 daughters and one son. But I got a bunch more honorary son's who were best buddies of our boy from football and wrestling in highscool, they come around and ask for guideance and help with things all the time, so that makes me feell pretty good! With that being said you will have all the expenses of prom and other dresses and all the things that go along with the girls as they grow to adult hood. Then you will get a batch son-in-laws to help out with the being out numbered by girls!

But we never will trade our little ones for anything, and then later you will get to be like me and spoil the new grand babies!

Congratulations and a blessing and prayer for good health and happiness to you all,

Jeff

Michael Mills
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Congratulation on the family addition.
The first thing my grand-daughter turned was jump rope handles. Boxes or stands for jewelry?

Terry Beadle
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
One way to get girls interested in turning is to cut a hollow tenon in the end of a 2 inch round practice piece. Then stick $2 in the hole and seal with glue and a plug.

Declare first one to make a slip ring spin on the axies gets to use the cut off tool to access the $2.

Well...rethinking....today's prices...you might need to add a zero to the $2 ! Hoot!

James Combs
07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Congrats David. Maybe the next one will be a boy. Doesn't hurt to try. ;-)

Mike Svoma
07-07-2011, 1:07 PM
Congratulations, David. Your shop will be filled with estrogen in no time.

Ted Calver
07-07-2011, 1:26 PM
Congratulations!! I'd say your wife is turning 'em out just fine!!

David Warkentin
07-07-2011, 3:28 PM
Thanks to all the well wishers. Everyone doing fine.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2011, 12:06 AM
David - Congrats on #4! Looking forward to seeing the photos when they start turning! Enjoy the family!

Michelle Rich
07-08-2011, 9:39 AM
Lots of women turn...ASK them if they would like to spend time with you & learn..make them things and tell them you can teach them how...they'll either want to or not. Just feel your way

Mark Hix
07-08-2011, 8:12 PM
Congratulations! Start them early.

Rodney Walker
07-09-2011, 9:17 PM
Congratulations on the new daughter! All I did to get my daughter to turn was buy an old lathe and restore it with her. Show your daughters projects with results they're interested in. That might be enough to get them going.