PDA

View Full Version : One last MM16 pre-gloat

Gary Herrmann
02-15-2005, 8:26 AM
I guess now that MiniMax has posted the specs of their new and improved MM16 on their site I can expand on my previous pre-gloat. I was comparing the MM16 and the 16HD back in December. I was thinking I was going to go with MiniMax but wanted to put off my purchase until late Q1 because I was about to buy a new truck (05 Tundra DC).

As I was waffling on the phone with Dain, he let me know about the new version coming out in March. 16" of resaw height, 4.8hp... Needless to say I put down a deposit. Looks like there are pretty good deals on the older ones too. I wonder if I can get them to throw in a carbide blade with mine... :rolleyes:

Now I just need to pick a DC, and finish re-wiring the basement.

Jim Becker
02-15-2005, 8:45 AM
Woo Hoo!! Great pre-gloat!!! The new capacity is slick. Of course, the downside is that the blades are longer and cost a few pennies more... ;) But who's counting?

Gary Herrmann
02-15-2005, 9:50 AM
154". Oh well. Isn't uh, longer always better?

Jeff Sudmeier
02-15-2005, 9:54 AM
Congrats on the new pre-gloat! Hope it arrives on time and in top condition.

Jim Becker
02-15-2005, 9:56 AM
154". Oh well. Isn't uh, longer always better?
By contrast, my MM16, which is two generations back from the one you are getting, uses 145" blades...the "current" one uses 149" blades.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I knew this had to happen; the spec. changes to keep up with Laguna. But if I remember correctly the Laguna has a Baldor motor of around the same h.p. I can't imagine needing any more than the 3.5 h.p. on my MM16 but who knows. I've never even noticed the motor bog down even with 8-10 inch resaws. But I guess the companies have to keep up with each other. These are great saws and just getting bigger and more powerful.

Mark J Bachler
02-15-2005, 1:13 PM
I knew this had to happen; the spec. changes to keep up with Laguna. But if I remember correctly the Laguna has a Baldor motor of around the same h.p. I can't imagine needing any more than the 3.5 h.p. on my MM16 but who knows. I've never even noticed the motor bog down even with 8-10 inch resaws. But I guess the companies have to keep up with each other. These are great saws and just getting bigger and more powerful.

and more expensive.............

Jim O'Dell
02-15-2005, 1:44 PM
I knew this had to happen; the spec. changes to keep up with Laguna. But if I remember correctly the Laguna has a Baldor motor of around the same h.p. snip

Does anyone know what brand the MM motor is? (for those of you with the MM machines. ) Is it anything the majority of us would even recognize? I've never heard of any problems with the motors themselves, just the HP label on the S16 a while back, but never heard of a problem with the actual working of the motors. Anyone have any different info? Just curious on my part. I had planned to save for the MM16 to get next December or so, but have decided to get a cyclone first, and maybe get the S45 to hold me over, and to keep for doing non resaw work. Jim.

Jim Becker
02-15-2005, 2:47 PM
Does anyone know what brand the MM motor is?
Mine is an AEG, which is a pretty well known firm in Euope and the world. My Stubby lathe from AU also has an AEG motor.