PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying a Woodmaster drum sander

Craig Kalkman
07-06-2011, 8:39 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a used Woodmaster 3840 drum sander (5hp Leeson motor) that appears to be in good condition. It does not have a belt that walks the wood through the sander, rather it has pinch rollers that force the wood through as it slides on a laminate surface. I am guessing that this is the primary difference between this model and the newer 3875 that does have the belt. My question is, for $850 is this a good deal for the older technology or should I wait and get the belt drive model for MUCH more than the $850? Does anyone have any experience with the older Woodmasters that have the pinch rollers? Also, I'm being told it's 12 +/- years old. Does anyone know when Woodmaster came out with the belt drive model? I'm looking for this to use in my home shop. Thanks for any advice!

richard poitras
07-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Craig, I have had two 3875’ s (older one and newer one) and both of them have had the variable speed conveyor belt and hadn’t changed much in design. In my opinion the variable speed is a nice feature and I don’t think I would like one without that feature. I am not sure of how old that unit is that you are looking at but I had purchased my first one for about $600.00 and my currant one for $1200.00 both used and both worked great. I had checked the serial numbers directly with WoodMaster and they told me how old they were.(give them a call they are very nice to deal with if you can get the serial number) One was about 15 years old and my currant one is only 1 year old. So if you keep an eye out you may find a better deal. My guess is the unit you are looking at is older or never was produced much as I have never seen one and being they don’t make them any more I am not sure how good it would be. Most of their units haven’t change much due to the proven design? Good luck…

Richard

Bruce Page
07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Craig, I have a 2675 with reversible, variable speed conveyer. I would not want one without the conveyer.

David Kumm
07-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Craig, Don't know where you are but I have a performax 25x2 in WI for less. Dave