PDA

View Full Version : Jet Proshop Series Tablesaw

Jeff Murray
07-06-2011, 6:21 PM
Does anyone know when or if Jet will update this saw to include a riving knife. How much of an improvement is a riving knife as opposed to a splitter. I am looking to buy a new table saw and don't know if I should hold off a purchase just so it will have a riving knife. I really like the proshop series saw.

Andrew Howe
07-06-2011, 7:20 PM
I got one last year and I really like it. Very nice fence. I had to replace my belt with a linked belt and put on a 40 GP red Freud blade. Cuts like butter and I can balance nickels all day long

scott spencer
07-06-2011, 7:21 PM
A riving knife and a splitter essentially do the same task, but a riving is a more elegant approach with some advantages. Since riving knives are less likely to be in the way, they're more likely to be in place to do their job, which is one of their key benefits. A good splitter can do an excellent job, but a good riving also has the advantages of being closer to the blade, and rising and falling with the blade. While I typically prefer a riving knife to a splitter, I don't place a tremendous premium on them.

With that said, the Jet Proshop is well regarded, but I'm wondering what mechanical advantages they offer over something like the Grizzly G0715P? Jet is overdue on an update to that series IMO.