PDA

View Full Version : 1st HF Complete with lid....more or less

Chris Burgess
07-06-2011, 3:01 PM
Here is my first HF. Just finished up the top on my lunch break. It was my first HF as said but also my first time working w/ Corian. The top was a bit nicer w/ a ball on top but that broke off due to a catch while smoothing out the stem... ohh well I am 80% satisfied with the entire project. I would likefor the Top finial to have been a bit taller, not real sure about the color choice on the Corian and would like the walls in the HF to be thinner.

C&C Accepted and Requested.

Thanks,
Chris

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Scott Hackler
07-06-2011, 7:09 PM
Hey Chris. You have a good shape to the walls of the form and it looks like you achieved a nice soft finish. I would have prefered no foot on this one. It does elevate the form a bit but this foot doesn't seem to "flow" well with the rest of the form. Now about the lid, I actually like the color contrast and the speckle in the corian looks neat, but the lid seems too thick for the form. Remember that lids and finials are just embelishments to our forms and not (most of the time) used as a visual focal point. My eyes are drawn away from your form and right to the corian. I don't know for sure if it is because of the color or the size. I would like to see less of the corian protruding up from the HF, but those techniques are something you obtain through a lot of trial and some errors. The finial aspect of it seems tall enough and works well at a handle for the lid.

For a future piece you might try a corian lid with a knob (or small finial ) of the same wood the body is from. That would break up the piece visually, for my eyes. Just my $.02. Thanks for sharing.

David E Keller
07-06-2011, 7:25 PM
It's a lot nicer than my first HF! I agree with your impressions, and those things will come with time and practice. They're fun aren't they?

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2011, 8:10 PM
Good looking HF. I agree and all of those things will come with time, patience and practice.

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 8:13 PM
Well, you did not pick an easy form for your first one! The "low profile" forms with the long undercut at the top is hard to pull off even through a larger opening. I am afraid I simply do not like the lid and I have to agree with Scott on the foot. But from the top of the foot to the rim, it's pretty sweet.

Jim Burr
07-06-2011, 8:40 PM
My first HF had a hole in the middle...it kept me warm in November. Yours has all the makings of a nice HF. Take note of the afore mentioned comments and you did well to see areas of improvement! Keep it up and let's see the next one!!

John Keeton
07-06-2011, 8:52 PM
Good comments so far, all of which I agree with - including not really caring for the color of the Corian with this piece. But, let that take nothing away from an excellent job on your first one!!! That is a challenging form, but a good one to get the feel of hollowing. This will not be your last!!! HFs are a sub-addiction of the vortex!

Baxter Smith
07-06-2011, 9:18 PM
Congrats on your first! You have plenty of good suggestions for number 2! Looking forward to seeing it!

Chris Burgess
07-07-2011, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the great ideas. I think I am going to chuck it back up and remove the foot. I wanted to leave the bark but am not sold on it either. Also going to see if I can tin down the top as well. Thanks again. Will repost when complete.

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Chris - pretty nice work - especially for a first! Having a foot on your form is a matter of personal choice but you want to turn it so it is part of the design and adds to the curve. In this case, the foot is an object that stands apart from the form and is why most folks would like to see it removed. When planning your next hollow form, no matter what shape you turn, try to have all the elements (finial, body, pedestal) flow from one to the other without interruption. Check out a variety of hollow forms that the folks here have turned and you will get some ideas.

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing HF #2!