PDA

View Full Version : Carcass saw opinions?

Peter Pedisich
07-06-2011, 2:01 PM
Hi, I am going to purchase a carcass saw for use this weekend, and so only 'in-stock' saws are up for consideration. I have a wish list of attributes, and potential candidates, and would love feedback on these specifics (or others:D) from folks who have used these:

wish list:
1) easy starting
2) smoothness of cut
3) generous size handle - meaning room between the horns and thickness - I prefer handles closer to 7/8" to 15/16" thick over the thinner ones.

candidates:
1) Gramercy 12" carcass
2) Wenzloff Kenyon 11" carcass
3) Lie-Nielsen 11" carcass

Thanks for any help!

-Pete

paul cottingham
07-06-2011, 2:14 PM
I have one of the Lee valley ones (the pair actually) and think they are pretty damn nice saws, especially for the money.

Steve Friedman
07-06-2011, 2:15 PM
If you haven't tried any of them, then it's easy - whichever one lets you return it if you hate it.

Given your proximity to Joel (TFWW), however, why not hop over and try his? Only half kidding, but what can be better on a hot, steamy July afternoon than an LIRR / Subway combo to Brooklyn?

Steve

Ken Peluso
07-06-2011, 4:45 PM
I have no experience with the Wenzloff so I cannot comment on it, but I do own 2 LN saws and just received a pair (cc & rip) of the Gramercy saws from TFWW yesterday. I used both extensively last night and can say that everything I read about them before purchasing was pretty much dead on. I love them.

David Keller NC
07-06-2011, 4:57 PM
Peter - perhaps this is not a surprise, but your candidate list precludes any useful opinions that you could glean by posing this question on the forum, because they're all nice saws and none are any better or worse than the others.

Now, if you'd asked us whether you should buy a L-N/L-V/Wenzlof/TFWW versus a Pax, Garlick or even (gasp) the plastic handled Stanley at the local big box store, then that would be a question with a useful answer.

It's possible to have preferences for the brands that you list, of course, but only once you've actually bought and owned several such saws, which is probably not all that helpful if you don't currently own (any) carcass saws. P.S. - Bad Axe makes some pretty dang fine saws as well, and he may have one "in stock" if you call him....

paul cottingham
07-06-2011, 5:36 PM
+1 for Bad Axe. I don't own one, YET, but look forward to it. Mark is a very patient guy as well.

Brian Loran
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I have the LN and love it. My only wish is that it was bigger.

Eugenio Musto
07-08-2011, 6:14 PM
I have the LV and i like it very much.In my opinion it's an excellent saw at an excellent price.

Mike Brady
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
+1 for Bad Axe. I don't own one, YET, but look forward to it. Mark is a very patient guy as well.

Does Bad Axe stock saws? If not, they won't help this poster.

Wenzloff has stock and a choice of lengths available. His saws are fantastic, especially when he has them in stock and you don't have to wait forever.