PDA

View Full Version : NE Cherry

Ted Calver
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Just one more while the photo tent is set up. This Cherry NE is about 14" x 7" and is finished with several coats of Formby's tung oil finish from an old can I was trying to get rid of. I was afraid it wouldn't dry, but it worked OK and I knocked off the gloss with some superfine synthetic steel wool and Ren waxed it. The foot was added to give it some lift, but I'm not sure about it. There's something about having the structure of a foot, at least this kind of foot, on a NE that doesn't quite jive with me. The blank was starting to get punky under the bark and there was a yellow colored fungus living in one spot that still shows a little. Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Chris Burgess
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Beautiful bowl. Nothing wrong w/ a little fungus among us. I am with you onthe foot, wonder if it would have been better to just make a slightflat/concave spot on bottom to keep it from rolling. No matter what I would nottoss that and would be proud to display it on my shelf. Good job and thanks forsharing.

John Keeton
07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Ted, beautiful piece of cherry, and great form. Perhaps a little less foot - just a very slight bead, would have worked better. I am not sold on the additional "ledge" - seems to disrupt the flow of the curvature.

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Beautiful cherry and do like the form. I agree I am not sure about the foot.

Prashun Patel
07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
First, it's beautiful as it is. Since yr asking for critiques though:

I'd nix the foot. To give it lift, I would begin the sweep up closer to the base. A narrower base will create visual lift (at least to me).

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Fungus. Gotta love the fungus! Very nice NE. Good job on keeping the bark intact! I have to agree about the foot but that's really more of a personal preference. I like a "soft" foot on NE bowls.

charlie knighton
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
very nice...

David E Keller
07-06-2011, 7:43 PM
Nicely done! I don't mind the foot, but I'm not sure about the secondary ridge. Great looking wood and finish!

Ted Calver
07-06-2011, 8:39 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments. This one will go back on the lathe for a bottom revision someday when I'm feeling brave/foolish.