PDA

View Full Version : What is up with ebay plane prices?

John Weber
02-14-2005, 11:09 PM
I've been watching a couple sales the last few days, the first was a Record standard angle adj mouth block plane that sold for $76.13 with shipping. A fair plane, but for 76 bucks:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/5e/5b/fb_1_b.JPG

The second was as LN 7-1/2 LA Jointer Plane, never used for $316.65 shipped to me. You can order a new one from FTJ for $275 shipped.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/60/5d/63_1.JPG

There have also been several others, Stanleys, Millers Falls, Sargents, etc... mostly in good condition all go for a lot more then I would bid or even think they should be of late.

It stills seems the rust market is a bargain, but clean stuff seems to be really in a spike lately.

John

P.S. I didn't buy the planes, they are just some examples I was watching...

Steve Wargo
02-15-2005, 12:08 AM
I recently delivered a piece and another is almost done. When I finish I like to treat myself to a new tool or two. I had my eye on about 14 moulding planes the other night. I ended up with three. There were a few that ended at well over $100. They were somewhat special and from a furniture builder's stand point could have been awesome. It makes me sad to think that they are probably going to sit on a shelf somewhere. To give you an idea. I could get AStragal profiles for around $40 a year and a half ago. I spent $70 a few nights ago. Now don't get mewrong it was cherry, but prices are through the roof. What can you do? I'm seriously think of going to the patina show in MD though to see what's there. Alan, drop me a note.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-15-2005, 8:09 AM
Ebay is great, but it is becoming a sellers marketplace for a ton of items. Take the poker craze right now... There are many sets of poker chips and cards going for 50% more than you can buy the exact same set at wal-mart for. Add on outrageous shipping and the seller is really making the money.

Now don't get me wrong, I have gotten some steals on ebay myself, but lately, they seem to be less and less.

Mark Singer
02-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I rarely buy anything there...the prices are very high and the selection is limited to what used or new stuff people are selling. For example if you search Lie Neilsen , maybe 10 items appear....some duplicates....so 7 actual different items. They will all go for between 85 % to over full retail. If you want one you have to sit at your computer and bid at the final seconds of the auction. If you go to one of the retailers, Fine Tool Journal, or the Best Things, or Lie Neilsen, you get to chose from the entire list and you are getting new stuff! You will be the first to use it! No scratches, marks from screwdrivers, bad sharpening, etc, to deal with. Many things I sold on EBay went for over retail when shipping is added! I never could understand. If you are looking for some odd items it is still a good place to look. I recently bought a set of 7 Forstner bits for under $10 delivered....and excellent quality.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2005, 10:28 AM
You have to think of e-bay as part entertainment, part tool shopping and part crazy and you have to be persistent. I bid on a hundred items and win maybe one or two. You just can't get caught up in the whole bidding thing. A couple weeks ago I bid $50 on a Stanley #2 trammel set. It was in good condition with the keepers and pencil clasp. When the bidding went over $50 I was tempted to bid again because I didn't want to lose out for a few dollars, but decided against it at the last minute. It sold for almost $100 so I'm glad I dropped out. This week I won an identical set for $37. I also bought a NIB Bosch trim router kit for $119. It sells new on Amazon for $249, but before I won it I lost a lot of PC and Dewalt trim routers that sold for almost retail and with shipping cost more than Amazon.

Compare e-bay to flea market and antique store browsing. I can look at a lot more items from my PC in one hour than I can in a whole weekend of rust hunting in my car. Doesn't cost me any gas nor nearly as much time, but on the other hand, some people like the whole "hunting" experience. To each his own as they say.