PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel( Curly Maple, Cherry) Spice cabinet

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
200573200572 200574 200575

Just hung a spice cabinet for the wife, used a nice curly maple board for the raised panel, and the rest is cherry. It is 35" x 18", and 10" deep ( a 6" cabinet and 4" door). Holds everything from a whole corner cabinet.
The interior of the door has the back of the panel, and I used a piece of 1/4" Cherry Plywood for the back of the cabinet.
Finished it with BLO, will do a few more coats over the next month, and than maybe spray a finish on it. (I just have to learn how to use the spray gun first).
It is tough taking a photo without flash glare, but I think the curl shows well.

Bruce Page
07-06-2011, 1:01 AM
Wow! Beautiful!

Jim Becker
07-06-2011, 4:48 PM
Wow...stunning!

gary Zimmel
07-06-2011, 8:13 PM
That raised panel sure has some nice curl going on in it...
Great job on the spice cabinet David.

Mark Valsi
07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Very nice !

Michelle Rich
07-10-2011, 3:18 PM
gorgeous..I adore the wood combo and have made many pieces of my own furniture with it.

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
07-11-2011, 5:06 PM
Thank you all for such positive comments. Looking at the pictures, I realize now I should have waited a day or so before taking pictures, there was still some oil not wiped off yet. I failed to mention, I used Dark Vintage Maple TransTint on the wood, I mixed it with water, raising the grain slightly before going past 220 grit paper. The maple was from a bandsaw mill pile last year, $1 Bd Ft. Even better was the cherry, an older guy in the next town had a small pile of a dozen 5/4, 1' wide, 12' long Cherry boards, said he hadn't sold them since cutting a couple of months earlier, I could have the pile for $35. Brought it home, dried the snow off, and cleaned the old dirt and leaves off, then ran it thru the planer, and decided with the price I would bring it down in size to clear wood. I only ended up with one intact board, the rest of them were cut up into various widths and from 3' to 6' in length. The low cost makes experimenting with cherry much easier. I plan to start learning how to spray finishes with an HVLP gun soon. I am looking for suggestions on best choices for this type of kitchen project, something that allows wiping with a damp rag.