PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer question

Greg Urwiller
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
There's a Jet 40th anniversary 6" long bed jointer for sale on area CL. What were these like, were they a decent jointer? I imagine that this was only sold one year, when was that? Don't know much about it yet, it's about 125 miles away. I've really been waiting for an 8" to come around but haven't found any yet. I had emailed about 3 jointers from 2-3 week old ads last Fri. since I'd be in that city for the weekend. Woman called today on this jointer, didn't call before this cause she figured I'd be busy over the weekend! Oh well! Anyway, she's selling this and alot of other tools. Told me her "husband is divorcing her for another woman, and she needs to sell these tools before everything is done". I'd like an 8" but I know this one would be a lot better than my old Craftsmans. Thanks. Greg

Greg Urwiller
07-06-2011, 9:28 PM
Surely someone has or did have one of these! Any issues or is it good to go? Thanks. Greg

lowell holmes
07-06-2011, 9:39 PM
I have a 6" Jet jointer. I like it. There have been no issues since I bought it new several years back.

Greg Urwiller
07-06-2011, 9:52 PM
Was it the 40th anniversary model? I was curious what the difference was (if any) between this model and a regular one?

lowell holmes
07-07-2011, 8:06 AM
I walked into Texas Tool Traders and saw the jointer. I bought it on the spot. I doubt that it was the anniversary model.

Like I say, it's a good jointer. I like the wheel adjustments on the tables. I also like the ability to adjust the outfeed table. It eliminates snipe.

Try downloading the manuals on the Jet jointers to see if there is any difference.

The picture at the link below looks like my jointer.

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?080710/3377

Mike Cutler
07-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Greg

I own that model Jointer. I doubt that other than paint color, it's much different than a "regular" Jet Jointer.
It's a fine machine and does it's job well. I've exceeded it's limits on more than a few occaisons and it did the job with some creative "adapting".
The biggest knock is the size. To work with long, heavy, thick, tropical hardwoods will require some "adaption".
Be careful of the depth of cut adjustment on the infeed table. There is a locking detent at 1/8" and a pin inserts itself. If you continue to adjust the table the "Ball Crank" will break,and you'll have to replace it.