PDA

View Full Version : What Is This?

Tom LaRussa
02-14-2005, 10:14 PM
It's obviously some type of gouge or other, and it's obviously made by Butcher, but I'm wondering what it's called and what it's used for. Anybody know? TIA.

Steve Wargo
02-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Man those work excellent for cleaning up moulding. It is a Pre-WW1 Butcher. Very good chisel, excellent steel, great maker. Congrats on that score.

Tom LaRussa
02-15-2005, 3:53 PM
Man those work excellent for cleaning up moulding. It is a Pre-WW1 Butcher. Very good chisel, excellent steel, great maker. Congrats on that score.
So, is it called a "moulding cleaning up chisel" or what?

Louis Bois
02-15-2005, 4:55 PM
What you have there Tom, is a gouge. More specifically, an "outcannel" gouge, which is ground on the outside of the curve to give an inside cutting edge.

An "incannel" gouge is ground on the inside...which puts the cutting edge on the outside.

...not much more I can say about it aside from the fact that it's a good one.

Steve Wargo
02-15-2005, 5:05 PM
Tom, I'm sorry I didn't realize you were looking for the name of the tool. It is an outcannel gouge as Louis pointed out. They really are excellent for cleaning up handcut mouldings. The bevel on the outside of the gauge gives you more control for such a task.

Tom LaRussa
02-16-2005, 7:06 PM
Tom, I'm sorry I didn't realize you were looking for the name of the tool. It is an outcannel gouge as Louis pointed out. They really are excellent for cleaning up handcut mouldings. The bevel on the outside of the gauge gives you more control for such a task.
Thanks guys. :)

So, what's the thing worth? Any guesses?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-16-2005, 8:52 PM
Tom, they go for $15-25 on e-bay.