PDA

View Full Version : Turning scraps for the holiday weekend.

Ben Brown27
07-05-2011, 9:57 PM
All these items were scraps that have been in my shop for probably 3 years. All of them have been rejected and overlooked for some reason. I thought this weekend would be a good time to give them a second try.

The first one is a Ambrosia Maple hollow form. It has some worm holes and had a split that ran all the way through the top 3/4" of a 3" block. The split was pretty punky so I was worried it wasn't going to make it. it is about 4.5" wide and 6.5" tall. It's got 6 coats of gloss wipe-on poly. The finial is padauk.

The second is a piece of dogwood that looked pretty plane jane from the outside. I wasn't expecting any real grain or color, but I thought I'd try my hand at a natural edge bowl. It's about 4" by 2.5" tall and has about 6 coats of satin wipe-on poly.

The third is a piece of Persimmon. It had a large check that I though was gonna end up going through most of the log, but I managed to pull out a block about 3.5 by 3.5. I thought the split was gonna come apart but it stayed together. The really hard part was cleaning all the worm tracks. I spent several hours with a dental pick scrapping out the worm poop. It's 6 coats of satin wipe-on poly.

The last one was a small scrap of cherry burl. It was really pretty small and jagged and I doubted it would ever stay together. It is about 3" around and 1.5" tall.

James Combs
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Those are some great saves. I especially like the persimmon.

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Really nice pieces Ben. Some great saves for sure.