PDA

View Full Version : Fun, inexpensive Neander project

Mike Allen1010
07-05-2011, 7:52 PM
I'm always looking for fun, manageable and inexpensive hand tool projects. Below are some pictures of a walnut box based on an article in the June issue of Popular Woodworking. The only change I made was substituting a raised frame and panel lid.

I really enjoyed this project as it didn't require much lumber/$ and I think the simple design lends itself well to displaying some nicely figured wood, in this case a piece of figured black walnut I'd been saving. It also gave me a chance to practice my hand tool skills. I built this project using a pair of dovetail saws I recently completed (I'll try and post some pictures in another thread).

The soft walnut responded beautifully to sharp edge tools and reminded me that the source of some of my biggest Neander screw ups are choosing the wrong wood for the project.

If you're looking for a simple, inexpensive and fun project you can complete in a reasonable period of time you might want to give this one a try.

Kevin Fitzsimons
07-05-2011, 7:57 PM
Really nice job. I like the raised panel lid better than the one in PW. I gotta make one.
kevin

Harlan Barnhart
07-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Very nice Mike. I am impressed. I especially like the grain on the raised panel. If those quadrant hinges are from Brusso, this project would not qualify as inexpensive for me...

Mike Allen1010
07-05-2011, 8:38 PM
The hinges are actually plated brass from Rockler -- I think I paid less than $10. The first time I installed them the lid support slipped through the top leaf and disappeared into the mortise -Opps! Lesson learned -- I used a little epoxy to the top leaf to keep them from disappearing again.

James Owen
07-05-2011, 9:24 PM
BEAUTIFUL box, and very nice workmanship!

gary Zimmel
07-05-2011, 9:59 PM
Sweet job on the box Mike.

Jim Rimmer
07-06-2011, 1:43 PM
Great looking box. Really nice wood.