PDA

View Full Version : Graeme Priddle pyro tip holder

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-05-2011, 6:30 PM
Maybe one of you folks that has seen the Graeme Priddle demo remembers how he makes his tip holder. I remember he uses a PVC tube with wooden plugs on each end to keep two pieces of brazing rod separated. I also remember cooper connectors to hold the Ni-chrome wire. How about the end that connects to the power unit? How did he connect those wires and did he insulate them to prevent injury if the user inadvertantly touches them?
How heavy is the wire between the pen and the converted battery charger he uses? If I understood him, the power to the pen is merely from a 10 amp battery charger with a rheostat wired in to replace the multi position amperage switch.
faust

philip labre
07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Faust, at the bottom of this page is a link to a pdf for DIY woodburning pens.
http://www.fishcarver.com/fish_carving_wood_burners.htm

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-06-2011, 9:19 AM
Thanks Phil,
I found and printed it. This is very similar to what I remember from Graeme's demo. Did you make one or do you use a commercial pen with your unit? Also, did you insulate the connections between the pen and the power unit. I was considering just making the pen body longer so the connections were inside the tube.
Woops!! Almost forgot to say "Thanks".
faust

philip labre
07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Faust, I used pvc electrical conduit and JB weld but did not insulate it. I haven't had a chance to use it much since I made it, so can't say for sure how hot it will get.