PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a sharpening stone like this one?

george wilson
07-05-2011, 6:30 PM
I don't think I have ever posted a picture of this stone,which I consider one of my little treasures. Found it many years ago in a flea market.

It is a very fine stone,similar in fine grain to a razor hone. Certainly a nice stone for touching up the inside edges of gouges. The stone is round in cross section.

I managed to get "manage attachments" to work by going through FireFox. No idea why Safari isn't working. Will get computer whiz who works for us to fix it tomorrow.

greg Forster
07-05-2011, 8:01 PM
sharpening stone for a scythe

george wilson
07-05-2011, 8:06 PM
Not a scythe stone like I ever saw. I have only seen scythe stones that were flat sided,not very pointed,and much,much coarser,like a common hardware silicon carbide whet stone. This stone is so fine,it leaves a polished edge.

This one is very fine,like a barber's razor stone,pointed,and round in cross section. Possibly a very early scythe stone? 18th.C.? I wouldn't discount the theory,but certainly not any scythe stone made in a very long time.

John Coloccia
07-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Not a scythe stone like I ever saw. I have only seen scythe stones that were flat sided,not very pointed,and much,much coarser,like a common hardware silicon carbide whet stone. This stone is so fine,it leaves a polished edge.

This one is very fine,like a barber's razor stone,pointed,and round in cross section. Possibly a very early scythe stone? 18th.C.? I wouldn't discount the theory,but certainly not any scythe stone made in a very long time.

I don't think it's a scythe stone either, though it can certainly be used to sharpen one. I think it's what's called a "cigar" stone and is generally used for sharpening long and curved blades. Machetes, kukris, etc... Maybe even your axe or hatchet. Things like that. I've never seen one pointed like that, and honestly I haven't seen many at all as I'm not really into knives and machetes. The only reason I'm familiar with it at all is that someone gave me a knife kit once so I did a little research and went down the rabbit hole on my knife research...and I never did build the kit as a spring went flying off my mockup board and I never found it!

I think you use it similarly to how you might sharpen a scythe, i.e. you use it freehand and move the stone over the blade.

john brenton
07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a carborundum scythe/farm tool stone, and yours is definitely not like mine. It would be great for the incannel gouges and adzes.

george wilson
07-05-2011, 11:32 PM
John C.: HOW else would you use it.:)

Pam Niedermayer
07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Looks wonderful. Is it an oil stone? Probably be a cool one to reproduce, by grinding down a larger one.

Pam

David Weaver
07-06-2011, 8:39 AM
No clue, but just the look of it brings all kinds of jokes to my head - none of them appropriate for the HT forum.

I wonder how old it is. I would guess it originated with a sculptor or trade carver, it's fairly large.

John Coloccia
07-06-2011, 9:17 AM
John C.: HOW else would you use it.:)

No clue, but just the look of it brings all kinds of jokes to my head - none of them appropriate for the HT forum.

I wonder how old it is. I would guess it originated with a sculptor or trade carver, it's fairly large.

Why, whatever could you mean? :rolleyes:

george wilson
07-06-2011, 9:26 AM
I got the stone in Pa.,not Clinton,Connecticut,you guys.

John C.,What I MEANT was,you could not easily lay the stone down and rub the tool over it!!:)

Jim Matthews
07-06-2011, 9:33 AM
The shape looks deliberate, shaped to fit a tight curve.

Most stones for field-sharpening blades are shaped like hockey pucks; no rough edges to grate in your pocket as you work, and small enough to hold in one hand.

Gransfors-Bruks (http://www.osograndeknives.com/Gransfors%20Bruks/gransfors_bruks_-_axe_sharpening_stone.htm)

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2011, 9:53 AM
I've no clue George, but my Grandfather had a stone like that but about 8" long and fully round in cross section that was his scythe sharpening stone. It was far coarser too.

greg Forster
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
scythe stone, the 8 to 9" size is pretty standard . The more modern ones have a curved and a flat side- only the curved side is used; having a 100% rounded stone would be an improvement. Since you found it in PA., George, good chance it is European in origin- might be pretty early.The fine texture of the stone may be what the maker had available and depending on what he was cutting. I know I sure would like to have it- just to have it; very, very cool

george wilson
07-06-2011, 10:46 AM
It is possible. I got it during an extravaganza,which means dealers from all over the country(mostly Eastern parts) were there. I only went when all those extra dealers were there. So,no way of knowing actual State,or European origination.

It has been great for polishing the inside edges of gouges though,and I have always enjoyed using it,though I also have Arkansas slip stones,and ceramic,too in more recent years.

Good answers. I never thought about it possibly being a scythe stone,as it is so fine.In the 18th.C.,sickles were used to actually CUT the wheat down. Later on,cutting gave way to slashing with duller cutting edges. Guess people got too lazy to get their tools real sharp. Maybe it dates from the sharp sickle eras.

BUT WHY would it be so pointed on the ends? Wouldn't that wear a hole in the farmer's pocket quickly,or was it carried in a leather scabbard? I see no agriculture reason for the finely pointed ends(of course,I'm no farmer.)

Jim Koepke
07-06-2011, 1:22 PM
Some of the scythe sharpening stones I have seen do have a similar shape to yours.

http://scythesupply.com/equipment.htm

That does not mean that stone was originally made to sharpen a scythe.

I have been looking for such a stone for my scythes. To cut grass well, the blade does need to be like a razor.

jtk

greg Forster
07-06-2011, 1:37 PM
the stones were carried, slung off the belt, in a small holder- wood, metal, even horn. This was partly filled with water- which served as the lubrication. I think the reason the stones came to a point is as you pulled across the scythe blade, this would afford a "smoother" start and finish, esp. as the whetstone came on/off the edge of the blade -less prone to catch

I know I have some photos some where and yes the photos are showing European scythestones, but everything is packed for a 650 mile move

there is a wonderful description of Russian peasants mowing with scythes in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina; in part:

"Another row, and yet another row, followed–long rows and short rows, with good grass and with poor grass. Levin lost all sense of time, and could not have told whether it was late or early now. A change began to come over his work, which gave him immense satisfaction. In the midst of his toil there were moments during which he forgot what he was doing, and it came all easy to him, and at those same moments his row was almost as smooth and well cut as Tit’s. But so soon as he recollected what he was doing, and began trying to do better, he was at once conscious of all the difficulty of his task, and the row was badly mown"

george wilson
07-06-2011, 2:57 PM
Lots of info here! One of the many types of odd tools we had to make included several 18th.C. style scythes for use in the agricultural programs in the museum.