PDA

View Full Version : Brass Finial Forms

Johnny Taylor
07-05-2011, 5:22 PM
I got some 'shed time' today, something I've not had much of a chance to do recently.I made these lidded Elm forms with Bocote lids and decided to turn finials from brass. The first form is 6" tall and the finial 3". The finish is oil to bring out the colour of the Elm and satin lacquer over the top to make it a bit more permanent.The second is ebonised, 4" tall with a 1 3/4" finial.
Comments and critiques welcomed.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bf2small002.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bf9small009.jpg

There is more about these on my blog linked in my profile if anyones interested.

John Keeton
07-05-2011, 5:35 PM
Johnny, I like these!! I have wanted to do some copper finials, but I understand that it is much more difficult to turn than is brass. Some very nice contrast.

Ted Calver
07-05-2011, 5:51 PM
Johnny, I think this adds a new dimension to the finial matrix. Nice !!

Chris Burgess
07-05-2011, 6:04 PM
Very nice. Really like the ebonized HF.

Rick Markham
07-05-2011, 6:12 PM
Johnny those are super nice. I really love the first one, that's some beautiful Elm! Give us a couple close up shots of the finials, I want to see detail. Excuse the pun but those look really sharp. I especially like the second finial, the sphere looks fantastic in brass. What are you using to turn these?

Tim Thiebaut
07-05-2011, 6:51 PM
I love it! I have thought about doing these to but have no way to turn anything like that, very nice!

Dennis Ford
07-05-2011, 7:14 PM
Those are very nice, the natural colored one is my favorite of the two HFs. Great idea on the brass finials.

Dan Hintz
07-05-2011, 9:11 PM
Something about the ebonized one doesn't sit quite right with me from a color combo standpoint.. the shape is pleasing, though.

The first one, however, is quite a nice combo... the brass really accents the Elm. If I had to criticize anything about it, it would be the stronger presence of the Bocote... I wonder if it wouldn't look better (to me) if the Bocote and Elm roles were reversed due to the heavier striping of the Bocote.

Bob Rotche
07-06-2011, 7:34 AM
Very interesting. Love the concept of turning brass. Can you tell us more about how you did this and any tips or suggestions for someone wanting to try this for the first time?

Baxter Smith
07-06-2011, 8:43 AM
Very nice look to these! Guess I had better start being on the lookout for old brass.

Johnny Taylor
07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and comments :) Turning the brass is easy enough, just keep down the rpm of the lathe and use very sharp HSS tools, I mainly used a 3/8 long grind spindle gouge. You know when you get the cut right as you make really long but thin tightly wound brass 'shavings', steel wool brings up a nice finish on it.

Jim Burr
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow! What a great contrast...that just gave me an idea :eek::cool: