PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Monster Redux

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2011, 4:28 PM
While I was making the most recent "amphora" piece, I had one of those "DUH!!!" moments. Remember the post about adapting the Sorby mini hollowing tool to the Monster rig? My adaptation involved bushing the 3/8" shank of the Sorby tool to fit the boring bar holder on the Monster articulated arm. I was having some trouble with the bushings which were "press fit" onto the Sorby tool. A slight catch and the tool could rotate slightly in the bushing causing a much worse catch. So I pulled it out thinking that I would drill through the bushing and the tool shank and pin them. That's when I had the "duh moment" because I realized that the Monster boring bar has a 3/8" hole in the end! So no more bushing needed. Just a small bit of sanding to get the shank to slip into the boring bar and small flat on the side of the shank for the set screws.

Rick Markham
07-05-2011, 4:32 PM
Wow David, I had just been thinking about smaller boring bars (than my 5/8"), you just solved two problems. One I was considering, and one I hadn't realized I had yet :D

How about that, you sir, are a genius! :cool:

Tim Thiebaut
07-05-2011, 6:53 PM
Does Monster not make swan neck style bars for their rigs like this? Or are they just more money?

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2011, 6:59 PM
"Does Monster not make swan neck style bars for their rigs..."

They do indeed. But not one with a 3/8" diameter!

John Keeton
07-05-2011, 9:08 PM
Rumor has it that Jeff Nicol can make up some really neat 3/8" hollowing tools to work on the Monster.;):) Just sayin' .......

Rick Markham
07-06-2011, 1:07 AM
Rumor has it that Jeff Nicol can make up some really neat 3/8" hollowing tools to work on the Monster.;):) Just sayin' .......

That's not terribly surprising... All the tools I have seen that Jeff makes are neat. Oh Jeff... :D I might have some more work to throw your way ;)