PDA

View Full Version : I need your help for a veteran

Bill Wyko
07-05-2011, 4:09 PM
A really great friend of mine back from Iraq lost his right arm. He loves wood turning but really needs some special tools. Because he has to turn lefty, I was wondering if a reversible lathe would be an option and I was also wondering about a turning tool I've seen that attaches to the forearm. I think Malcolm Tibbetts uses one. In addition, if you guys have any ideas how to help him with a tool idea or anything what so ever, please let me know. I'm going to try to teach him anything I can. Thanks in advance.

Tim Rinehart
07-05-2011, 4:35 PM
Bill, first off, my heart goes off to your friend, who lost a limb helping keep our country strong and defending rights of others.
My initial thoughts were how difficult that is, given the interaction of the 'left hand' typically for steadying what the 'right hand' is doing. Also, I would have some concerns on always operating in reverse mode, as it could have more potential for chucks to come lose....not that it can't be done, just need to consider that.
I tried thinking in my head what types of turning would yield the least amount of torque where you could reasonably control with just one hand, and it's really the small projects like pens and such that fall in that category. One can reasonably expect to use a skew alone to take a pen blank to final form, and using one hand, holding the skew just a few inches from the tool rest. I do this routinely as it offers better control than holding at the handle. I use a 3/4" rounded edge skew, so its pretty comfortable to hold on the edges. His skew control will improve dramatically..!!! The harder part will be the prep work, but having a friend or loved one around for that can make that part manageable, and just leave the turning to him. I think same would apply to other 'small' projects.
For safety sake, I would hate to recommend any technique using a bowl gouge held at the handle only...not that it's not doable...just can't imagine how to do it safely myself.
Last, if a friend or himself does manage an outside of a hollow form, using an articulated hollowing rig or captured bar system would open up possibilities where one hand could be used. Especially the articulated type.
You know what...thinking about it, I would have you or your friend contact Randy at Monster Tools...I bet he would be able to figure a way to get and setup an articulated tool to allow some 'conventional' work at side of wood blank using an articulated arm. Just a thought...
Best of luck, and let us know if you guys figure something workable to keep him going. We look forward to seeing how it's done, and others in similar situation will learn options also.

Pete Jordan
07-05-2011, 4:44 PM
Hey Bill,

I would use the small Monster system and work from that.

Tell him thanks for his sacrifice!!!

Paul Williams
07-05-2011, 4:51 PM
One of the demos in the AAW vendor areas was a guy turning one handed using his left hand. I am sorry that I didn't get a name or any information, but perhaps someone on the forum will know who he was. I believe he was using a normal direction lathe and normal tools.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2011, 5:11 PM
You got it guys. We'll get him down the vortex. I'm thinking I could rough out some bowl blanks so he has a safer starting point. I'll get a hold of Randy and see if he has any ideas. Thanks for the ideas guys, keep em coming.

Kevin Lucas
07-05-2011, 5:37 PM
I think these may be the videos from the symposium you are thinking of...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15637280

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15639807

I'm not too sure of special tools but that is a good example of can do ) Please thank your friend for his service and sacrifice.

Ryan Hellmer
07-05-2011, 5:46 PM
Prayers for your friend. I don't do much turning but love lurking here. My first thought would be some kind of tool holder that could be worn around the torso to hold the chisel handle, then the left hand could be used for it's usual purpose. Something like a leather cup to capture the handle strapped to a shoulder harness (think shoulder holster), perhaps with a pin to secure for the inevitable catch. What about a captive tool rest for something other than hollowing? I know a lot of lathe techniques require something other than a fixed approach angle, but you work with what you've got.

Ryan

Brodie Brickey
07-05-2011, 6:15 PM
Bill,

Warm thoughts to your friend, I very much appreciate his service.

I don't think you need to reverse the lathe rotation. You will probably need a lathe with variable speed for better control. Pictured below is the Robust tool rest many of us have and love. I'm sure they could put a larger circular bead across the top of the tool rest.

From there a jig that holds the gouge or skew and slides on the bead may be able to allow cuts along the outside of the vessel or bowl. The turning process I'm envisioning would require a multi axis swivel so you could present the tool at the correct angle. This may allow your friend to continue turning albeit slowly. Maybe something like the wolverine gouge jig instead of a double u-joint.

With regard to hollowing and bowl turning, the Carter Hollow Roller that was demo'd at the AAW Symposium might provide hollowing or bowl turning options. WoodCraft has them and if there's one in your area you might take a look at it. I tried it at the Symposium and it moved very smoothly vibration free. I can well imagine using my left hand to feed and guide it. (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2083468/34168/Hollow-Roller.aspx)

Attaching chucks, setting tool rest heights and some of the other processes that we all do without much thought may be more difficult, although Lyle Jamison has a tool rest with a threaded post and nut to always get a consistent height that may be of interest.

Tim Thiebaut
07-05-2011, 6:46 PM
Please thank your friend for us, this just touches my heart. Reverse wouldnt be an issue if a set screw was used I dont think. Anyway as for useing a conventional tool, this would require someone that makes tools, but I am seeing instead of a tool rest in its place a post with a holder at the top...picture a mini-mini-steady rest type of setup, just big enough for a gouge, skew etc. to slid into, multi-angle swivel, slid the tool into this and tighten a set screw to hold it in place, this could take the place of the foreward hand postion for controling the tool. however it would take someone with machineing capibilites to make this or something similair....just throwing things out here, I truly hope something can be done to help this man, and others in our military that may want to get involved someday.

Someone mention contacting Monster, that is a great idea, maybe one can be modded to work on the side for spindle work, and edge work on bowls, vases etc...

Kathy Marshall
07-05-2011, 7:15 PM
Thanks to your friend for his service and sacrifice.
One thought would be to use some Easy Wood tools. They show in their videos how they can be used one handed to demonstrate that the forces are all downward. I have actually tried mine one handed and they do work. I use my left hand mostly to hold the tool down against the rest and to guide it sideways from left to right, but with the long handle they come with and the fact that they are held level and flat (no twisting etc), I don't see why he couldn't use his left hand to hold down/guide the front end and hold the back end between his upper left arm and his side (it might mean having to raise the lathe height depending on your friends height), I think that might work and if there is someone near you that has some Easy Wood tools it might be worth trying it out (you might also be able to test the EW tools at a Woodcraft store). I have turned bowls and other things using only EW tools just to see if I could and it worked fine.
I also agree that a captive or articulated system would definitely work for hollowing vessels or bowls and would be easy to use one handed, and you might even be able to modify an articulated system for turning the outside of forms once they are roughed round.
Good luck and I hope you 2 come up with something to allow your friend to continue to enjoy turning!

Dennis Ford
07-05-2011, 7:22 PM
I am thinking that something like the "Kelton hollowing gate" would work OK with one arm. I don't have one but suspect that it could be used on the outside of vessels too. He would have to move the toolrest a lot but it might be worth a try.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-05-2011, 8:20 PM
Bill, if you decide to take a collection to buy him the new roller hollowing system that can be used with one hand, count me in. It is the least we can do. Maxq

neil mackay
07-05-2011, 8:24 PM
Bill, Hmm a bit of a tricky one. But how much of the right arm does have left? Is it possible to have a prosthetic fitted?
But moving on, some sort of captured system as has been suggested for the inside work, for external some modifictions will required to allow him to rough out safely. I think, still using the captive system and having a gard of fitted to prevent dig ins. Something like a Munro http://thebestthings.com/newtools/rolly_munro_hollower.htm
or Wood cut Porforme http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=88&xPage=1&jssCart=f3c49020ff2f9aa237a2fa5208d3ccfb
He could use a slightly modified Iron Gate toolrest to assist with the external turning as well. http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/search.php?xSearch=iron+gate&submit=Search
It would be a case of developing tools to suit over a period of time, fortunately there some very good ones to start with and then adjust and develop as he goes along.
Unfortunately I live too far away to afford any real practical help. But where ever I can assist feel free to ask. My back ground is engineering with many years in running a R&D machine shop for a large global manufacturing company, now semi retired. I currently design and build my own lathes and turning tools as a hobby/passion :)

Jamie Donaldson
07-05-2011, 8:27 PM
Tool handles long enough to brace against the body would also help secure the 1 handed tool movement with some practice.

Bill Wyko
07-06-2011, 1:00 PM
Thanks so very much guys. I'm also thinking of a long handled tool with a sort of sleeve over it so he could yse his forearm for support. I'm also going to check into the captive systems as well.
I'm not sure if the rules here would allow me to do a collection for him but I would like to do that for him. There is a turning contest I heard about, the rules say 2 people can make the pieces submitted. I was thinking of having him enter and I'll help him make his project. Maybe he can win some tools too. I'll call him today and get the ball rolling. I have a keith Clark hollowing system, it needs a little tune up on the bearing but I'll have him give that a try. We'll have him turning out some cool stuff in no time. Thanks again so very much everybody. Aaron is his name, arm or no arm, he is just good people. I hope he know just how slippery this slope really is.:eek::D

Rob Cunningham
07-06-2011, 1:08 PM
Bill,
I'm thinking something like a Monster Articulated Hollower could be used on the outside of bowls and hollow forms too. You would just need a tool holder that holds the toolbit in the proper position for outside surfaces. I work in a machine shop, if you need something made that you can't find, just let me know.
Tell your friend Thank-you for his service.

Jeff Nicol
07-06-2011, 1:13 PM
Bill, With you in Aaron's court there is no doubt that things will get going in the right direction. I had half a dozen ideas fly through my head on things I could make, but since I am in Idaho and away from my shop I will sketch out a few things and see what I can come up with.

God bless you and Aaron, you for being a great friend, and for Aaron being a great patriot and sacrificing for our great nation. It warms my heart and re-affirms that this is a great country to live in!

Jeff

Scott Hackler
07-06-2011, 2:41 PM
Thanks for doing this for one of our heros.

My first thought is that the Monster system would be a decent thing for him, but it is (basically) a scraper, so using it for the outside of a bowl or vessel might leave a very rough surface. I would think that someone could fashion a "ring" that his right forearm could be inserted and an handle like Doug makes attached to the "ring" that would allow him to hold the tool with his right arm and guide it with his left along the tool rest. Something like that would be prettty easy to make and with a non permanent insert area on a handle.... he could exchange the steel for different gouges or possible a modified scraper.

Bill Wyko
07-06-2011, 3:01 PM
I sure will tell him. Thank you all as well. He's vortex bound for sure.

Jim Burr
07-06-2011, 3:10 PM
Bill, Thank you for your effort. And to your friend...God bless, I still serve in DMAT and my son is a Marine. A few more ?'s...will he be fitted with a prothesis and what type. Where does he live...some of us may be able to fill in helping as well. Monster is a good idea, but what about a captured tool rest for a gouge? Just a picture in my head, but it may be an option.

Bill Wyko
07-06-2011, 4:06 PM
Unfortunately his loss was all the way to his shoulder so we'll have to work with his left arm.
What I'm thinking is I'll use my sleeve idea and a David Elsworth ground tool and a long handle. I'm also thinking of a captive tool rest with a bearing guide of some sort. Fear not, he'll be turning some cool stuff in no time if I have any say in it.;)

Scott Hackler
07-06-2011, 7:16 PM
Oh...... Well as much as I would want to see him turning, I feel that without months and months of vigorous, lessons with very skilled tuners, using modified tool rests (captured) or a Monster system..... this might be either un-doable or very dangerous. I have seen very skilled turners run a bowl gouge with one hand as a demo, but they ALL resort to both hands outside of a demo of riding the bevel. I just wouldnt want to see this young man get any more injured than what life has already handed him. Maybe a toolrest with a pivoting sleave that is fixed in place, but then he would be limited to the angle of attack.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.....

Paul Williams
07-06-2011, 8:54 PM
I still think the articulated arm tool is the way to go. Before I bought my Delta Midi I turned quite a few items on a small metal lathe. I think the bit can be ground so that it is slicing the wood moremoe than scraping. Also there is nothing really wrong with scraping other than dust and the time it would take to rough out a large turning.

Jeff Nicol
07-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I think I can make a belt that goes around his waist that the tool handle can be attached to in different areas with some sort of velcro fastener system to his right hip area, then with another harness of sorts to attach a guide/hold down up near his shoulder. This way he can shrug his shoulder down and control the tool and use the left as a guide, the guide arm can be on a swivel. I can see it all in my head and can make it work, and I will when I get home. I love a challenge, and hate to be defeated!

2 more days and a wake up and I will be headed home, I definitley am going through shop withdrawl,

Jeff

Bill Wyko
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
That would be fantastic if you could do that. I don't think he will be doing much hollowing but I'm going to send him home with a dvd from Cindy Drozda on building the finial star she does. I'm also going to give him a dvd from Richard Raffan. I want him to have a good understanding of how to approach with the tool. Once whe gets a feel for the tools and the way they cut, we'll work into more complex turnings. Personally I think this will be fun for both of us.

Jeff Nicol
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Bill, I am sure it will be a challenge and fun at the same time, helping someone to get past a tragic loss like that is good for the heart and souls of all involved. I thought some more about it last night while reading in bed and I think it would be like a pair of suspenders with areas of attachment on both sides for the handle and also different possibilities for the stabilizer attachment also. Since most all turning is done by moving your body and using your top had for a hold down/control it should work out just fine. Research and development is the beginning of many great inventions! Maybe I can become famous!!!! Now that is a laugh for sure!

Can't wait to get my hands dirty figuring it out,

Take care, and thank Aaron every day from us here on SMC, his new extended family,

Jeff
That would be fantastic if you could do that. I don't think he will be doing much hollowing but I'm going to send him home with a dvd from Cindy Drozda on building the finial star she does. I'm also going to give him a dvd from Richard Raffan. I want him to have a good understanding of how to approach with the tool. Once whe gets a feel for the tools and the way they cut, we'll work into more complex turnings. Personally I think this will be fun for both of us.

dennis kranz
07-07-2011, 2:33 PM
Bill if he has any interest in pen turning let me know. I would be more than happy to work with him any way I can help. If he wants to try pens with my equipment before he buys anything I'm ready. Same goes with any of my other tools.
Dennis

Jim Burr
07-07-2011, 3:40 PM
Same here...pens, kits, HF's...wood...whatever he needs. Jeff...you need any parts of financial backing to assist...We take care of our own.

Dennis Simmons
07-07-2011, 7:27 PM
Bill, I am sure it will be a challenge and fun at the same time, helping someone to get past a tragic loss like that is good for the heart and souls of all involved. I thought some more about it last night while reading in bed and I think it would be like a pair of suspenders with areas of attachment on both sides for the handle and also different possibilities for the stabilizer attachment also. Since most all turning is done by moving your body and using your top had for a hold down/control it should work out just fine. Research and development is the beginning of many great inventions! Maybe I can become famous!!!! Now that is a laugh for sure!

Can't wait to get my hands dirty figuring it out,

Take care, and thank Aaron every day from us here on SMC, his new extended family,

Jeff

I turned today with a store bought tool. I used my left forearm to hold the handle, and my fingers to work the tool. I think this will work with some effort to learn. I have been around people with disabilities all my life, with work they will over come. Please tell him Thank You for your service to our Country.