PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Residents.....questions

Mac McQuinn
07-05-2011, 3:12 PM
My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a house in Northern Indiana and could use some suggestions/advice/knowledge on the state. Taxes; are private pensions taxed? Are State taxes and County taxes high? Any downfalls to living in this state? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us so we would like to go in with our eyes open. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Mac

Andy Haney
07-05-2011, 9:11 PM
I know nothing in particular about Indiana, but I do have an email saved for "retirement" that has links to a lot of the information you ask about. Please check your PMs.

Andy Haney

Pat O'malley
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey Mac, I have lived in Lake County (N.W. In.) all of life, 50 yrs. except for a couple of years in Wyoming. We currently do not have a county tax; I do believe other counties do. Indiana is similar to most other areas of the country, some nice areas, some not so nice, same with the people. Indiana has been in the process of changing the property tax laws for some time now, although not in full effect yet your primary residence will be taxed at 1% of true appraised value. If you can narrow down the cities your thinking of that would help with giving some opinions. Best of luck.

Mac McQuinn
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Pat,
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. We are looking at a house located in LaPorte.
Thanks, Mac

Hey Mac, I have lived in Lake County (N.W. In.) all of life, 50 yrs. except for a couple of years in Wyoming. We currently do not have a county tax; I do believe other counties do. Indiana is similar to most other areas of the country, some nice areas, some not so nice, same with the people. Indiana has been in the process of changing the property tax laws for some time now, although not in full effect yet your primary residence will be taxed at 1% of true appraised value. If you can narrow down the cities your thinking of that would help with giving some opinions. Best of luck.

Pat O'malley
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Mac I don't really know much about LaPorte itself but there is alot of things to do within a 30-45 minute drive from LaPorte in both Ind and Mich and the driving for the most part is easy with nice scenery.