PDA

View Full Version : Yates 199 jointer. What do you guys think?

keith micinski
07-05-2011, 2:43 PM
So I found this on craigslist and even though I really only need a Grizzly 8" jointer it seems like a pretty good deal. The guy is taking the motor, belt, and pulleys with him. From photos I have found on OWWM it looks like the motor is mounted on the other side of the jointer from where it was originally mounted. The original babbit bearings appear to be in good shape and it is a round two knife cutter head. I am going to be able to run a few test pieces through it. if I am able to find a three horse power single phase motor for a couple hundred bucks I think I am going to try and get it. Does anyone see any thing that jumps out with this model that might be an issue? I have read that the outfeed table is unadjustable and the cutter head is actually what gets adjusted up and down. This seems kind of weird since almost every other jointer is made with an adjustable outfeed.
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tls/2476540656.html

Carroll Courtney
07-05-2011, 3:38 PM
I don't know anything about the Yates,but I do know that if its the clam shell cutter head then that is a big negative or the owner really has to be on his A game when changing out the knifes.Go back over to OWWM and do alittle research on clam shell cutter heads posted by users of that type.Keep use posted on your purchase w/pics of course----Carroll

keith micinski
07-05-2011, 3:44 PM
I am pretty sure this is not the clamshell head from what the owner said. Does anyone know how many amp motor and also what rpm I should be looking for? I assume the rpm's aren't as important because I can change that with the new shivs. There are quite a few 3hp motors on ebay for sale but it looks like I should be able to find something for less then 250.

Jerome Hanby
07-05-2011, 3:47 PM
Man, I'm glad that thing is no where near me. My wife would kill me! Looks like a beautiful machine!

keith micinski
07-05-2011, 4:03 PM
I really needed a new planer. I don't know why I even put this in the search but I am getting pretty fired up.

Ryan Hellmer
07-05-2011, 5:25 PM
I would do some serious research over at vintagemachinery dot org and owwm dot org. By my eye, that doesn't look like a yates. They were generall "three-toed." Clamshells are a no-no for most of us, but many manufacturers were using gibbed heads by then. Square cutterheads are the ones to really watch out for. Personally I love old machines. They can be really fantastic. This machine would certainly merit some more leg-work in my opinion. Try finding a 12" in that price range...

Ryan

Jim Matthews
07-05-2011, 5:27 PM
What does this thing weigh?

If you bring it home, and everything rolls to one side of your garage...

David Kumm
07-05-2011, 5:29 PM
Three hp is as light as I would go. Most 12" went 4 or 5 although the real old machines had less hp but the motors had huge cast iron frames. Yates American was considered to be a top machinery company way back when. Bessides the cutterhead, make sure the tables are good and don't have a low spot in the middle of their width. Dave

Yates later became Yates American and the three toe jointers were the American design so this is likely before that.

Ryan Hellmer
07-05-2011, 5:30 PM
My apologies, that is a Yates, just not a Yates-American, a P.B. Yates. I thought something was off. Catalog says is weighs in at 1900 lbs. Again, I'd do some serious looking at this one.

keith micinski
07-06-2011, 9:55 PM
Unfortunately it has a clam shell head so I am going to let it go. By the time I replace the motor the head and by then I may as well do the bearings it is just going to be to much money and time.

Matt Kestenbaum
07-07-2011, 8:43 AM
The studio where i have taken classes (PFW) has a vintage jointer similar to this one...it was retrofitted with a belt driven motor and a Byrd shelix head and man, it is the nuts! The one I am familiar with was originally a direct drive just behind the cutter head, and required three phase, but not as currently configured. All that mass and the huge beefy cast iron tables...ah!. Also, the wheel driven height adjustment (again, on the one I have used) has very little backlash and allows for easily making tiny adjustments to the depth of cut.

keith micinski
07-07-2011, 7:41 PM
Does any body know of a source for a regular gib style head for this jointer? I really want this thing and I think the owner would move on the price because of the head but I have no interest in spending a few grand on a byrd head.

David Kumm
07-07-2011, 8:22 PM
Keith, Have you checked with the OWWM.org guys. All clam shells are not created equally bad. There is good info about the different types and you should find guys with info on changing heads. Dave

keith micinski
07-08-2011, 8:48 PM
Ya I had to wait for my account to be verified there before I could post a question so I am going to ask over there tonight.

Doug Morgan
07-08-2011, 9:14 PM
Keith
Check out this. Its a Yates 199 not in as good condition as yours. It weighs 1900 Lbs. Catalogs have it in 1917. What a beast. You lucky dog....

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=879

Photos:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=777&tab=4

keith micinski
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Well I am not sure if I am going to get this one or not but the guys over at OWWM just deleted my post because I made a vague reference to the jointer being for sale somewhere in America. Some of the rules that people come up with never cease to amaze me.

Mark Ottenheimer
07-09-2011, 3:54 AM
Keith,
I have a Yates 199 with a 3 hp single phase moor. It runs like a top. It has the babbitt bearings and a 4 knife round cutter head. These are not clamshell cutterhead machines. They usually came with 2 knife round cutter head. It weight 1980lbs and is a beast to move. You can either nuy a byrd cutterhead or some people have an old planer cutter head machined to fit. You may find one from someone who has replaced it with a helical cutter head. If you have any question shoot me a PM.
Mark