PDA

View Full Version : Hydria Palissandro

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2011, 2:34 PM
I spent the 4th of July (and part of the 2nd and 3rd as well) making another in the seemingly endless "Amphora" series. Every one I have done so far has been colored in some way and I really wanted to do a natural wood version of this. I have enough of a grip on the techniques involved that I was willing to risk some expensive wood. So I dug into my precious small stash of rosewood burl and ebony for this one. Man that stuff is hard! I used the Glaser 15V gouge for most of the heavy cutting and it did perform admirably. I was compelled to make a trip to the grinder halfway through but the last time I turned anything from this rosewood burl, I spent more time sharpening than I did turning. And it's heavy too. Even with the walls down to 1/8" there is still a noticeable heft to this piece. I was tempted to go thinner but the last time I tried that the piece ended up shattering. Hard, dense and dry add up to brittle!

When I posted pics of the last one, Kelly Dunn suggested an emulation of the form body in the embellishment in the stem instead of a sphere. So I thought I would give that a go. Also, I recently had a chance to have one of these examined by a "well known collector" (who shall remain unnamed). He had a lot of nice things to say about the piece but he went totally "Keeton" on me about the finish (or lack thereof) on the underside of the pedestal base. So I decided to pay a bit more attention to that area on this piece.

All in all I am pleased with the way this "turned out" The detailing of the bottom is probably what I am the most stoked on right now. I have never even given a thought to putting this much work into the underside of a base. Usually just a light sanding and a bit of whatever I finish the piece with. But now I'm hooked on that too so there are a few more hours to be factored into each piece!

This is 4.25" wide at the rim and 15.5" tall. There is no finish, just wax and polish. I just love the way rosewood and ebony polish up.

200479 200477

Tim Thiebaut
07-05-2011, 2:41 PM
This is very nice David, love that wood!! As for the base I did the exact same thing on my last HF that I posted here, I think I forgot to post a photo of the base bottom though, I thing it adds that final little bit to a piece even if very few people will ever look there...I will have to see if I have a picture of the base on mine.

Baxter Smith
07-05-2011, 2:41 PM
Au natural is almost always my favorite and it sure looks great on this one! The bottom is a little "over the top":) but still looks good. Very very nice David!

bob svoboda
07-05-2011, 2:57 PM
My hat's off. Another stunner, David. A lot of people seem to immediately turn a piece over to see the bottom, and they are sure going to like what they see in this one.

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 3:09 PM
Exquisite!!! The flair of the top seems to rise higher than some of your others in this series [that is my recall from memory] and I think that it elevates the entire top portion in a way that enhances the upper section.

The natural wood showing through is just fantastic..........who could not love that grain. The form in the stem is a nice feature. The pedestal base with its double bottom is very well executed as well as the stem. I like what you have done with the bottom, and it makes ones eyes go up and down the whole of the work and yet does not make a competing feature to the bulb.

I also like the upward turn or flair on the base of the ebony stem.........sets it apart in a way, and makes a distinct feature apart from the rosewood base.

This is in my estimation the best of your Amphora series. I don't know what that fertile gray matter between your ears will come up with next, but man, your creativity is firing on all cylinders!

Exquisite David.........just superb workmanship and execution of a very creative idea!

Harvey Ghesser
07-05-2011, 3:13 PM
David, that is absolutely beautiful! Stunning, actually!

BTW, if you don't already have a diamond hone (size of a playing card) you can use it on the gouge and avoid grinding. I do and in no time, I've got a scary sharp gouge again.

Nate Davey
07-05-2011, 3:24 PM
Absolutely stunning, David. You have out done yourself. This is absolutely my favorite of your series. The wood glows as if lit from the inside. Masterfully done.

Rick Markham
07-05-2011, 3:31 PM
Wow!!!! Spectacular David! That rosewood burl is spectacular, as is your form. It's hard to say about the sphere or repetition of the form. I really like the look of both, I think the sphere adds a bit more harmony to the balance of the stem. Neither one hurts the piece in any way. I am loving the bottom treatment! It really puts it completely over the top. I think it's spectacular, and you need to send those photos to the well known collector. Impeccable work David! Home run for sure!!!

Dan Cannon
07-05-2011, 3:38 PM
I've loved every one of the pieces from this series, but haven't commented (mostly because I'd have nothing intelligent to add to such beautiful pieces), but this one has compelled me to at least say thank you for sharing these with us. This one has it all, and that wood is outstanding. Thanks again...this is one of those pieces, along with so many on this site, that will serve as inspiration in the future.

Dan

John Keeton
07-05-2011, 3:45 PM
David, the absolute best of the series!!! Fantastic detailing. I copied the pic and pasted to my desktop so I could enlarge it for closer inspection and it is superb!!! Great curves, good flow, perfect proportions and beautiful wood. I have played just a little with the rosewood burl, and it is very nice wood to work with. Hard, yes, but it tools well and finishes wonderfully. I kind of like the sphere myself, but that is just personal taste. You will get groups on both sides of that issue.

This is high class work, David!

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 3:54 PM
David,

I have a question related to your technique on the stem......it being long and skinny, I wondered if you used a spindle steady when turning or use your index finger or maybe first 2 fingers with light backside pressure to offset the force of the tool on the front side?

Also, have you ever posted pics of the turning tools you use for a small bulb like this? I would think they would mostly be home made, and fashioned to your particular use.........? Would you mind sharing a picture of them?

Tim Rinehart
07-05-2011, 3:58 PM
What's not to like!
Beautiful piece David, just a wonderful piece of wood at the top of a pedestal. I guess I'm a bit on the fence also about the sphere vs emulated form...the sphere seemed so 'DD', but I know there's a draw towards the emulation of shape in features like this. Either way, this is a great piece, well done and I too think it's you're best yet after the details on the bottom added.

robert raess
07-05-2011, 4:10 PM
Very very nice,skill, elegance,choice of woods,finish,scale, the live edge..,how you reach beyond the live edge to the hollow form and beyond is noteworthy..Rob

Michelle Rich
07-05-2011, 4:49 PM
I think the base is finished perfectly. if you know gallery goers and craft fair folks and collectors, you will know that people will ALWAYS look at the bottom. A person who finishes the bottom to the same standard as the rest of a piece is doing the rest of his/her piece justice. Turner's of your caliber need to finish turn all of it.
This is a total delight. The wood, shape, balance, etc, are all on the money. It is a spectacular piece.

Chris Burgess
07-05-2011, 6:15 PM
Amazing piece....simply amazing. Makes me wonder if I were to go out and paint my old beat up lathe bright red if it would start to produce spinnings like this. Worth a shot.....

Ted Calver
07-05-2011, 7:04 PM
David,,,this is the best of the lot!!

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2011, 7:15 PM
Thanx everyone for the good reviews!

Roger: I don't use a steady or my fingers. I use a very sharp spindle gouge and skim across the top of the stem... many light passes. Don't know if this is the "right way" or not but it gets me there.

John and Tim: I am also undecided about the embellishment. Actually, "undecided" is not really the right word. More like "ambivalent". I like both but I think i favor the sphere slightly simply because the form emulation seems to be a very "popular" trend right now and the sphere was a way for me to add an embellishment that had a bit of my own "stamp" on it.

And it is nice to know that I will not have an "oh crap" moment if someone does pick it up and look at the bottom!

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 7:27 PM
Thanks David..........your technique is interesting........you must have very fine tool control indeed to get that light a touch!

Kathy Marshall
07-05-2011, 7:33 PM
Absolutely Fantastic piece David! I think this is my new favorite of your series. The whole thing, from top to bottom is excellent and the wood is just plain gorgeous! I think the embellishment works with this one, but I also like your spheres, which basically means I think it would look great with either one.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-05-2011, 8:12 PM
Great detail on the underside. Though the piece is spectacular, you know "ditto, ditto etc." after seeing your detail under the base I ask, why not make the unseen portion as detailed as the rest. There is a fine line between layers of perfection. You may have crossed yet another. In verita, stai diventando un artista.
fausto

Scott Hackler
07-05-2011, 8:22 PM
Most excellent David. I like the little form being repeated in the stem a lot more than the ball. I am also a big fan of using the same wood in a foot. The only hangup I have on this is very minor and it is the transition at the foot. I would have like to seen a smoother transition from the stem to the foot. Really nice.

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2011, 8:30 PM
"I would have like to seen a smoother transition from the stem to the foot."

This was mentioned elsewhere also. My "explanation"" is that with the size of the main form (it's the largest one yet) and the added weight of the dark wood, I was afraid of the whole thing appearing top heavy. So I was attempting to add some visual weight at the base. Thus, the larger and more pronounced flair.

Ed Morgano
07-05-2011, 9:07 PM
As usual, you have raised the bar. Simply stunning in every way.

Harry Robinette
07-05-2011, 9:41 PM
Beautiful, simply Beautiful as always. Not much else can be said.

Curt Fuller
07-05-2011, 9:45 PM
Very, very nice! A beautiful piece of art!

Rich Aldrich
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Another amazing piece. I can't imagine being able to make that delicate pedistal, but sometime in the near future, I will try.

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Wonderful piece David. Another beauty as usual.

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanx again for all the comments.

Don Orr
07-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Absolutely over-the-top gorgeous David. Finishing the bottom as you did took this one up several levels. Well done!

Jeff Nicol
07-06-2011, 1:03 PM
David, Just like the rest of the gang I am inspired and impressed by your style and craftsmanship with each new piece! Keep them coming for sure, and the burl is gorgeous!

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 8:18 PM
"...the burl is gorgeous!"

There can be no argument there! This is the fourth piece I have done with rosewood burl and, with the exception of the first one (which we don't talk about) the wood has been consistently stunning. I need to talk to you about some small hollowing tips. PM? And thanx again for the name...

Roger Chandler
07-06-2011, 9:13 PM
[I] I was afraid of the whole thing appearing top heavy. So I was attempting to add some visual weight at the base. Thus, the larger and more pronounced flair.

David,

In my estimation you did the exact right thing in the larger foot........to me the flair upward is a distinctive part of the form and lends itself to the beauty of what you created in this form.........I think it enhances, and in no way distracts from the form in any way.........

That being said.........I think there are times on this forum and others as well that certain expectations begin to be created and if a curve or a feature is "outside the lines" then there are those who always want to color inside the lines..........rules are just guidelines in this turning craft, and once in a while, they need to be expanded! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

HEY...........good job! C&C are helpful,and we all can benefit from them, but the truth is that some are also "nit-picky".........my "eye" may not be as refined as some who have turned for many years , but I know a good thing when I see it!

Please everybody, don't take me wrong, and don't misunderstand what I am trying to convey.........I know that all our tastes differ.........and some of what we all say just is that.... .....what our personal tastes are.

After re-reading my post.........I want to clarify..........my tone may have come across a little over the top.........my apologies, and I am not intending to single anyone out in their viewpoints.........mine are also just view points.........no criticism intended to the critiques of any individual........or to their person or ideas..........Thanks everyone! :o

Steve Schlumpf
07-06-2011, 9:37 PM
David... this piece is exceptional! As much as I have loved the dye work you have been doing, nothing grabs your attention faster than the natural coloring of beautiful wood! You did a great job on the form, the proportions and the finish! You seem to be able to somehow top yourself with each new version in this series, and while I find it hard to believe that this piece can be bettered - I look forward to seeing what you create next!

Very impressive work David! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
"...there are times...certain expectations begin to be created..."

The thing is, you cannot put your work in front of the public, be it on an internet forum or in a gallery or anywhere that the public is free to view it, without the expectation that that same public will judge the work. Some will like it some will not. You cannot have such a thin skin that you are unable tolerate less than flattering comments. While there are those who make a point of being gracious, many of these comments will be harsh or motivated by an inflated ego. You have to ignore the tone and just listen to the what is being said. Many times, good suggestions are made even though they may be made in an unkind manner. It's up to you to decide the ultimate value of the criticism you receive.

Personally, I appreciate any input I can get. We should not have to apologize for speaking our mind honestly. No need to be unkind, just honest. We cannot really benefit from comments that are not spoken from the heart. They are disingenuous and serve neither the speaker nor the one spoken to. I would much rather be given a less than flattering but genuine critique than flattering platitudes.

I'll shut up now.

Roger Chandler
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Points well said, true, and I will receive them with the same grace you spoke them in! Now to another issue about this series......

I think it would be a real treat if we somehow could talk you into putting all these pieces in this series in a display and take a few pics of it...........seeing them all together would be a treat to start out with, and would allow for a view of the progression of your work that individual pics could not capture. It would have to be a picture that allows for some detail, [think larger than thumbnail size ;)]

Jamie Donaldson
07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Grandpa always taught us that "if you never made a mistake, then you never learned anything!"

Toney Robertson
07-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Grandpa always taught us that "if you never made a mistake, then you never learned anything!"

I like that quote and my Dad used something similar "if you never made a mistake, then you are not doing anything!"

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
"Grandpa always taught us that "if you never made a mistake, then you never learned anything!"

Well your grandpa had a point. But I hope you will excuse my saying that I don't think this conversation is so much about "mistakes" as it is about the perception of "mistakes". There are "mistakes" that obvious screw ups. Then there are elements that are perceived as mistakes by some and as "strokes of genius" by others.

John Keeton
07-07-2011, 7:53 AM
IMO, there are no "mistakes" in artistic expression. There may be some rules that virtually guarantee a commonly accepted piece (rule of thirds, etc.) and most of us have been conditioned to adhere to those rules. Sometimes, it would seem that adherence stifles creativity. In all honesty, when I view the works of Ellsworth, many of which sell for $4-5,000, very few appeal to me. Obviously, that says more about me than it does about Ellsworth and his collectors!!! I suspect I am missing something in all of that - not them.

In woodturning, I perceive a "mistake" as toolmarks, tearout, or some other functional issue. If the piece suffers from "poor form", it may just be that the creator's perception of form is different from yours.

David's work has all of the elements of art - fantastic tool control, excellent choices of wood color or dye application, his curves, his "flair", the manner is which he combines the various elements - all of that make for a very appealing package. Whether one or more of the elements of any individual turning appeal to each individual has more to do with differences in personal taste. And, personal taste is developed over time by a variety of environmental factors and genetic makeup. We are each going to be uniquely different in that regard, thank goodness!! Otherwise, all of us would be turning the same thing!!

As David noted, posting for public view carries with it the likelihood that someone, or many, will not care for the turning, or not like some element of it. That simply means you did something unique and expressed yourself. I hope more of you will do that.

Mike Davis NC
07-07-2011, 8:53 AM
As a turner I am unfit to judge your work. As an artist I can say you have reached beyond perfection.

Trevor Howard
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I am by no means an expert, but what my eyes see, my brain loves. David you have done this burl justice, and as for the stem and base, it is one of the first things I noticed and liked, since it was different (for me) than where most people blend the two pieces of wood together.

Cathy Schaewe
07-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow. Gorgeous.

Don Alexander
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
WOW!!!! somehow you just keep making these pieces better and better ...................... David, you definitely did that gorgeous burl justice

i can't wait to see the next piece