PDA

View Full Version : Cutting thick cardboard, what is good material underneith

andrew zen
07-05-2011, 2:02 PM
I am cutting some thick poster board - some even call it chipboard The edges need to be accurate and clean like a jigsaw puzzle. When I cut through on a honeycomb I get some back flash occasionally scorching the cardboard. I played with speed and power and frequency.

I was wondering what people use to absorb laser energy after it occasionally cuts through the material.. I tried a couple different ceramic tiles, laminant flooring, plywood all with varying success. A pegboard will not do as the pieces fall sometimes going underneath the next cut. The cardboard must be supported all throughout.

The material must be larger 24" x 18", and flat. Will a marble or granite work as the laser just has to cut through cardboard, does color and texture affect?

Anyone experimented?

Dan Hintz
07-05-2011, 2:14 PM
A pin table with a lot of pins would still be better than a honeycomb... but no flashback? Anything you choose that fits the bill (and is inexpensive enough for you to purchase) is going to need replacement often. Black anodized aluminum sheet is probably the next best thing, and you could home-anodize often.

Joe Pelonio
07-05-2011, 8:28 PM
You can place low-tack transfer tape on the back, it will peel right off without damaging the material.