PDA

View Full Version : Madrone Bowl

John Altberg
07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
This is a wild piece of wood that I got on Orcas Island in March. Great blend of heart and sap woods, knots, crotch and worm tracks! A lot going on in a tiny space, as the bowl is only 4.25 X 2.75. The bottom was so pretty, that I decided to leave it round rather than making a foot or a flat. Still undecided on that decision, as it now operates like a tippy cup!

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 1:10 PM
This is a wild piece of wood that I got on Orcas Island in March. Great blend of heart and sap woods, knots, crotch and worm tracks! A lot going on in a tiny space, as the bowl is only 4.25 X 2.75. The bottom was so pretty, that I decided to leave it round rather than making a foot or a flat. Still undecided on that decision, as it now operates like a tippy cup!

That is pretty wood........nice form as well. I know nothing hardly about Madrone, except is usually moves like crazy........I hope having the pith in the sides does not spell disaster later on from cracking .......good luck!

Baxter Smith
07-05-2011, 2:44 PM
Pretty wood John! Looks rather round. Was it dry to start or is it still in the process?

Tim Rinehart
07-05-2011, 4:09 PM
John, nice looking piece of wood...whatever it does, your transitions in this look great. This can be a challenging shape to make a smooth transition. The 'tippiness' is ok in my book. I've made a couple like that. I think this is on the style of what's called a 'Calabash' bowl, after the Calabash gourd that it resembles.
Hope it doesn't crack on you...but that happens. Hopefully, looking at the uniform thickness this appears to have, you've minimized that chance.
Nice work!!

John Altberg
07-05-2011, 8:21 PM
This bowl was rough turned, soaked in DNA and allowed to dry completely before finish turning. There does not seem to be any movement, so far.

David E Keller
07-05-2011, 8:24 PM
You guys are killing me with this beautiful madrone! I like this piece a lot, John!

Russell Neyman
07-06-2011, 2:21 AM
It's a rather atypical color for madrone, but that stuff has all sorts of variations. I like what you've done here. Have you tried boiling it? I rough turn a blank roughly twice the finished thickness, then boil it in water for about four hours. I guess it modifies the cell structure. Then, I put it in a paper bag with some wood shavings for a month or two, and re-turn it to a finished thickness.

Reed Gray
07-06-2011, 2:21 AM
Even with its small size, getting one like that, with the pith in it to dry without cracking is difficult.

robo hippy

Russell Neyman
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Funny, John, how Pacific Northwest turners keep a chainsaw in the trunks of our cars, isn't it? I have my best luck right after a snowstorm! I also kiss up to the tree trimming guys and power company crews. They're the ones who have to take a fallen madrone off the lines, and I'm there to help them!!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Really nice wood and I do like the form.

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
The wood is certainly pretty but what I like most about this is the simple, understated form. Hard to achieve. Well done!

Jim Burr
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I love rolly polly bowls John...great for M&M's and little snacks! That is some fine looking wood and a great shape! We are heading to Friday Harbor in September, I'll have to keep an eye out!