PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 90 motor problem

Andrew Haynes
02-14-2005, 7:50 PM
Hello,
This is my first time posting on this site, I sure hope someone can help me.

I have a early powermatic 90 lathe, the motor mounts directly to the bed in a very tight area. The previous owner replaced the original solid mount 3 phase motor with a rubber mount 1 phase motor. I think he used this type of mount to get the capacitor to clear the bed. The problem is the rubber mount flexes at higher RPMs and causes a bad vibration. Who makes a replacement solid mount 1 phase 1 HP motor that will fit in this space? A model number and manufacture's name would be fantastic. Thanks

Norman Hitt
02-14-2005, 9:18 PM
Hello,
This is my first time posting on this site, I sure hope someone can help me.

I have a early powermatic 90 lathe, the motor mounts directly to the bed in a very tight area. The previous owner replaced the original solid mount 3 phase motor with a rubber mount 1 phase motor. I think he used this type of mount to get the capacitor to clear the bed. The problem is the rubber mount flexes at higher RPMs and causes a bad vibration. Who makes a replacement solid mount 1 phase 1 HP motor that will fit in this space? A model number and manufacture's name would be fantastic. Thanks

Not seeing your motor mount, I don't know if this would work, ......but..... would it be possible to remove the rubber mount and make metal or hardwood spacers in place of the rubber mounts and then tighten it down solid? Might save the price of a new motor.

Andrew Haynes
02-14-2005, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the idea, it's worth a shot

Ted Shrader
02-14-2005, 9:32 PM
Andrew -

Welcome to the Creek. A friendly place to hang out and exchange ideas. . . . And there are a lot of good ideas here. Good luck with your vibration problems.

Welcome,
Ted

Andrew Haynes
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Just pulled the variable speed drive pullies and the motor shaft is bent.
Guess I'll need a new motor after all.

Norman Hitt
02-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Just pulled the variable speed drive pullies and the motor shaft is bent.
Guess I'll need a new motor after all.

Now THAT'S A BUMMER!!! Maybe that's why the other fellow sold it, eh??

Andrew Haynes
02-15-2005, 5:28 AM
For what I paid if the lathe did'nt have a motor at all it would still have been a good deal

lou sansone
02-15-2005, 8:46 AM
Just a thought on your lathe problem. All of this does depend on how deep your pockets are, but since you need another motor any way, you might want to think about switching over to a complete VFD and motor set at this time. Many of the guys here use VFD's and they are really pretty slick. My personal opinion is that the wood lathe is the ideal applicaton for this technology.

Just a thought. Good luck
lou

Carl Eyman
02-15-2005, 8:49 AM
Do you know what the original frame number was? Can the manufacturer tell you? It is possible single phase motors are made in that same frame size. If you can get hold of a Grainger catalog they have a pretty good section on dimensions of various frame sizes. If you find the original frame size and can't get the catalog, private message me. I've got the catalog and will try to look it up.

Andrew Haynes
02-15-2005, 5:28 PM
I lucked out, a co-worker had a motor from a lathe he bought for parts.
A perfect fit and the price was right. FREE

Thanks for all the sugestions
Andy

Norman Hitt
02-15-2005, 6:08 PM
I lucked out, a co-worker had a motor from a lathe he bought for parts.
A perfect fit and the price was right. FREE

Thanks for all the sugestions
Andy

Hey Andy, That's Great. With the Luck you've been having, I think You need to jump on the Red Eye to Vegas for a few hrs, "Real Quick". Maybe you could Fund a whole New Shop. (Grin)

Steven Wilson
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
When you replace the motor, replace it with an original 3 phase motor. Then add a VFD and you'll be able to run single phase and have variable speed.