PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator Help - Epilog Vector Cutting

Cherie Irwin
07-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I am a new Epilog user and have experienced a problem with vector cutting and Illustrator. I purchased an EPS file from a stock image website. I re-worked the artwork a little bit, so that I could vector cut it. But, the laser driver must be ignoring my 0.001 stroke around the image that I want to cut. It rastered it, but it won't vector cut it. So, I "hid" the layers containing the rastered artwork in Illustrator, and leaving only the stroked layer visible. Then I sent the job to the laser again. It recognized the job, but when I hit GO to start the job, it immediately read "DONE" on the laser's front panel. It was as if I sent a document without any artwork to the laser.

I can't help but wonder if the problem is stemming from the fact the document was originally designed in CMYK color space, rather than RGB. However, I converted the document color mode to RGB, and individually changed all of the artwork to RGB colors, and it still doesn't recognize the part of my artwork that is to be vector cut. As I mentioned already, it rasters just fine, but won't vector. Have any of you experienced this problem or one like it? If so, what was your solution.

Disclaimer: I'm not an advanced Illustrator user, but I know how to get around. I'm lost in Corel, and I don't want to spend the money and time to learn it. I'd really like to make Illustrator work.

Any advice or help you can offer is extremely appreciated.

Doug Griffith
07-05-2011, 1:33 AM
I wouldn't really worry that the document was created in CMYK and then converted to RGB. Shouldn't make a difference. I'm curious about "individually changed all of the artwork to RGB colors". The document should be globally changed to RGB under file:color mode. As for line weight, my XP machine that is connected to the laser runs Illustrator CS1. I installed CAD tools to overcome an issue where the stroke weight would default thicker than the required .001" and attempt to raster the lines. Send me an Illustrator file and I'll take a look at it for you.

Jiten Patel
07-05-2011, 5:39 AM
not sure if I can help you, but be careful when buying vectors from a stock site. Read their user agreement as you may have bought the design, but unless you paid for an extended licence, you can sell it, even if you have changed it. The extended licences are a hell of a lot of money more!

Dan Hintz
07-05-2011, 6:23 AM
Cherie,

Have you made sure the design fits within the selected page size? Often times there will be an errant dot somewhere waaaaaaay outside of the typical drawing bounds that kills it. Do a "select all", then "zoom all"... if more than you expected shows up on the screen (the design should fill the screen, not be a small portion), you need to hunt down the errant piece and kill it.

Mike Null
07-05-2011, 7:12 AM
Or have you checked to be sure that vector is selected as well as raster on your driver.

David Fairfield
07-05-2011, 8:27 AM
I only use Adobe Illustrator with the Epilog. I guess the first thing I would check is make sure you are running the file in 600 dpi or less. 1200 dpi reads the .001" line as a raster. You need to go .0005" to get it to vector. Also make sure the document size in the print driver matches the Adobe document size. And make sure the lines are actually 100% black. If that's not it then it may be a rare glitch between Adobe and the Epilog driver.

The previous version of my Epilog driver had many problems working with Adobe, requiring some peculiar work-arounds. So make sure you have the most recent driver. The new driver solved almost all the issues but on rare occasions, I have mysterious situations similar to yours. When that happens, I revert back to the crazy work-arounds I'd use on the earlier driver. So you can try rotating the graphic 180 degrees, saving it under a different name. Also try drawing a vector line completely around the graphic. If all else fails you can manually separate the graphic into vector lines and raster fields, and run it as two jobs, one as a raster only, the other as vector only. That always works, but its a PitA.

HTH let us know what happens.
Dave

Cherie Irwin
07-05-2011, 9:39 AM
I suppose this is one of those rare situations. The document size matched perfectly in both the Epilog driver and Illustrator. I set the dashboard to render at 600 dpi and my the artwork that I wanted cut was marked by a 100% black 0.001 stroke.

The Epilog driver doesn't even recognize the stroked line at all. It doesn't raster it, and it certainly doesn't cut it. I've tried all of the work arounds that common sense would dictate. I separated the raster work and the vector work into 2 layers, and hid the raster and just sent the vector to the driver. When the job showed up on Epilog's panel, I hit go, and then the laser did nothing. The front panel just read "Done". I moved the vector into an entirely different document, but the same thing happened. It is as if I am sending a blank document to the driver.

There is no artwork outside the perimeter of the document. I have the latest driver and firmware. I downloaded all of that from Epilog when I got my machine last month. As far as the color goes, I did change it under File: Color Mode (though I think it reads a little differently in Illustrator CS5). For some reason, the artwork was set up to ignore the Global Settings and keep it's color settings. Since I wanted artwork to raster at different depths, I changed everything to different shades of RGB grays. That really was the only thing I could think of.

I'll double check everything again, and see if any of Dave's work arounds work.

Jit, thank you for the head's up about the stock image. I'm aware of the difference between the standard use license and the extended use license. Since this is a project for my own use, the standard license is fine. Yet, I'm not unaccustomed to purchasing the extended use license for products that will be sold. They are usually about $100 USD for each file. Not cheap, but far less expensive than the time it would take me to design some things on my own. I'm sure you'd agree. Again, thanks for the warning. I appreciate having someone to look out for us newbies.

David Fairfield
07-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Yup, sounds like one of those rare glitches. If you continue having trouble and the Epilog people can't sort you out, you're welcome to send me the file, or part of it, and I will see what happens over here on my machine and if I can get it to work. PM me for my email address.

But yeah, try some crazy stuff, like rotating the file, or changing the scale by a percent or two. Sometimes a nonsense problem requires a nonsense solution. :)

Dave

Doug Griffith
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
...make sure you are running the file in 600 dpi or less. 1200 dpi reads the .001" line as a raster. You need to go .0005" to get it to vector.

I never new this. Thanks Dave.

I also only use Illustrator with an Epilog. There used to be issues but it's been smooth running for quite a while. My question is: have you ever been able to vector cut with your current set up? If not, I'd get down to basics and create a new RGB file and draw a .001" 100% black stroked box in it. That will cut down your variables. Then set the driver to vector only and see what happens. If you still have issues, send that file to Dave or I to take a look at.

Cherie Irwin
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Yep, been able to vector cut all of my own designs. Just having problems with this one file in particular.

Dan Hintz
07-06-2011, 6:03 AM
Try turning off all raster material and copy the vector material into a separate file and run it. If it still fails with the new file, delete everything in it except one line and try again. If it cuts, one of the lines in the file is messed up... happy hunting. If it fails again, delete the last line and put in your own vector line... if it still fails, something was copied over from the old file (bad setting, hidden line, etc.), and you should have an easier time figuring out what it was. If it cuts, something is funky about the lines themselves... again, it's a setting.

Narrow down the problem...

David Fairfield
07-06-2011, 7:03 AM
Couple of other things came to mind. It helps to eliminate stray data in the graphic. So with the file open in Adobe, go to Object / Path / Clean up. Click all the boxes and hit OK.

And since you have all the vector lines separated, make sure there is no color fill on any of them. Sometimes you end up with white color fill you didn't notice, and a color fill can cause problems on an open ended vector. You can check by going to view, then click show transparency grid Or you can just select all the vector lines, then make sure the fill box has the red line through it.

And also it can be helpful to cut and paste the individual layers into a new document, instead of using "save as" in the file menu. Hopefully when you cut and paste, you'll leave behind the gremlin that's causing the problem in your original document. That should only be two layers, your raster, and your vector.

Let us know if you were able to make it work.

Dave

Cherie Irwin
07-07-2011, 6:46 PM
Alright, I don't know what the problem was, and I couldn't seem to get it sorted out using any copy and paste method. So I re-opened the original file, re-sized the artboard and all of the artwork in the file. Rather than copying and pasting into my newly created file, I just left the artwork on the original artboard, saved it as an AI file, and it worked. My mustache props vector cut exactly as I had intended. I will post a picture after I get them all cut and sticks inserted. I'll be using these in my photobooth.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I'll keep this thread bookmarked, just in case I have any problems in the future. I love CREEKERS!

Jed Bishop
12-27-2014, 5:32 PM
This is the only thread on the internet that came up when googling this issue.

I am having the EXACT same issue with the Epilog 30w at my shop. The cutter only accepts SVG files though so saving as an AI does nothing for me.

This issue happens A LOT when I get a file, vector, jpg, gif, etc from the internet. Which is a big problem because my whole thing is engraving images and cutting them out into keychains. Needless to say, I have not done many keychains.

I want to refresh this thread to see if anyone else has solved the issue. I tried everything in the thread to no avail.

I cannot vector every image because vectoring changes the look.

Jay Selway
12-27-2014, 8:00 PM
I use illustrator exclusively. I've found that you have to be sure of a few things.

Even if you change the document mode to RGB, you have to make sure every color is changed to RGB. That means clicking on the vector and double checking it in the color mix panel. Also, .001" will always cut, so make sure all your vectors for cutting are set to that. Also, sometimes the epilog takes a brain dump and won't engrave a perfectly set up file. Usually, just turning it off and back on again will fix it.

If you have any problems, feel free to email me the file - happy to take a look at it. jay (at) jumbieindustries (dot) com.

Jay Selway
12-27-2014, 8:05 PM
Also, one thing I do to make sure everything is set up correctly is utilize layers for different laser processes.

For example, I almost always have these 3 layers set up.

1. Engrave
2. Cut
3. Score

Makes it a bit easier to manage and trouble shoot things.

Also going into outline mode (ctrl - y) will let you see every vector on the artboard. Sometimes there is a random line or point that screws things up.

Illustrator and Corel are more difficult to master than the laser, so just be patient and watch lots of tutorial videos online. I never buy artwork from the web, as I'm a graphic designer by trade, but I'd recommend trying to get to the point where you can create your own graphics. You'll have much more control if you know exactly how they were built.

Lastly, patterns can sometimes be problematic. If you create a pattern swatch, make sure you double click into the pattern to be sure there aren't any errant CMYK or non-RGB colors.

Again, I know illustrator like the back of my hand, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to hit me up.

Doug Griffith
12-27-2014, 9:01 PM
I'd also advise selecting all and expanding appearance (under the Object menu). Do this on a copy of the file in case you need to edit later.