PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Sign

Jerry Todd
04-18-2003, 1:31 PM
A fellow motorcycle enthusist who is also a sign maker designed and made this sign for my new workshop. It is made from redwood and he sandblasted it to obtain the three dimensional effect. We close on the new house and workshop next month and I can get my tools out of storage. Can't wait.
Disclaimer: This is not a commercial sign, I'm retired and the shop is only used as a hobby.

Ron McNeil
04-18-2003, 1:43 PM
Jerry,

From one motorcycle enthusist to another the sign looks great and I'm sure you can hardly wait to get the saw dust flowing again.

Bart Leetch
04-18-2003, 2:12 PM
Wow Jerry that is really great looking sign.

Question, did he make a cut out overlay of what he wanted to leave & then put it on the wood before blasting? If so what material was the overlay made out of?

Or can you explain how he did it?

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-18-2003, 3:03 PM
That is a FINE looking Shingle! I really like the colors too! Very nice job! I would also be interested in how he accomplished the task?

Lee Schierer
04-18-2003, 3:04 PM
You don't spell Lee that way, tell him he'll have to try again. Could he make the lettering blue next time too.

Great looking sign, I'm envious:D

Jerry Todd
04-18-2003, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
Wow Jerry that is really great looking sign.

Question, did he make a cut out overlay of what he wanted to leave & then put it on the wood before blasting? If so what material was the overlay made out of?

Or can you explain how he did it?

Bart, The sign is 2" redwood and measures 24" by 32". He has a computer design program which cuts out the rubber material that ends up being the raised portion of the sign. He then sandblasts the wood that is exposed. A little tricky as the sign is several pieces of redwood glued to make a panel. Which means some of the wood is softer than other, so it takes some skill with the sandblaster.

From motorcycle rider to another: "If I get there before you I'll keep the gate open".

Keith Outten
04-18-2003, 9:08 PM
Jerry,

Love the sign, the workmanship is great!

Here is an idea for a hanger for your new sign.

Jim Baker
04-18-2003, 10:15 PM
That's a beautifully done sign, Jerry.
Good luck setting up the new shop.